ten

she subtly watches them from her spot, while her parents talk to another person, and while the boys stop to talk to someone joe's introducing to them. she takes her phone to pretend she's doing something, and decides to text will.

amelia (!!!): yo

amelia (!!!): will i'm bored cause 1 parents being parents 2 no friends whatsoever and 3 the only 4 people i know in here besides my parents are busy :/

amelia (!!!): please tell me you're available to talk cause i'm just standing here all alone while everyone has someone to talk to except me

she looks up at brad's direction again and sees that they're all still talking to the man. brad seems a bit distracted though, and she watches as he takes his phone out of his pocket, smiles at the screen and starts to type.

she moves her eyes away from him now, cause she feels as if she's being invasive. when she turns her head left, she sees a blonde, familiar looking girl walking to her.

"amelia! hi!" the girl says, hugging amelia. "i've been actually looking for you since i got here!"

"oh, wow, hi!" what was her name again?! amelia remembers she's the intern girl that works for the receptionist from the h.r. department. they met during amelia's working week, but she can't remember her name. "how are you?"

"ah, you know!" she gestures. "busy as always. i've been working non stop the whole week!"

"oh yeah, i feel you, same here." amelia grimaces. "busy week for everyone at the label, i guess." she shrugs. she glances back at brad, who's now focused on the man, a frown on his face. who's that man anyway and why is he talking so much?!

"yeah, i think so." amelia looks back at the girl, forcing her brain to remember the name. sam? or maybe something with an e... elise? no, that feels wrong. she looks down at her phone and sees new messages. but she can't be that rude to the poor girl in front of her.

"so! what did you think about the band? they're great, aren't they?!" amelia asks, quickly checking brad again. still there. she's trying to make conversation cause she doesn't know what to say and talking to someone is better than talking to no one. even if she doesn't remember her name.

"oh... eh, they're okay, i guess." the blonde shrugs, not looking very impressed. amelia's eyebrows rise up.

"you didn't like them?" she sounds genuinely surprised. what's wrong with this person?! and what the fuck is her name?!

"no, it's not that, it's just, you know..." she looks down, blushing. "that lead singer reminds me too much of my ex-boyfriend." she rolls her eyes. "but whatever!" she laughs, a fake laugh. "i should get going, actually, amelia, cause you know, the interns are always the ones who have to do everything for everyone."

"are they making you work extra hard today?" amelia asks, a bit concerned.

asking that question was a bad idea, amelia. cause that makes the girl start really talking, and she doesn't stop. she's a nice girl, very helpful and kind, but amelia is simply not interested in hearing about her job right now. so she just nods and agrees with everything, while switching her eyes between brad, her phone, and the girl.

"it's exhausting, you know." the girl finishes, sighing. amelia doesn't remember anything of what she just said.

"well, good luck to you. but you can do it, i have faith in you. you're a strong girl, you can manage anything." amelia smiles at her, reassuringly. she glances at brad one more time and sees that the man has left, and they're finally walking in her direction.