Cephalotus Follicularis

The faces of those who disappeared into the Gotham night soon replaced the victims who met a brutal end in the headlines over the next few weeks. Three men had vanished in the three weeks since Barbara had seen Richard.

Barbara was not surprised she had not seen him after the offensive question she asked. It did not matter though. She had other things to preoccupy her mind like the display she had made. There, behind the bedroom door, were several newspaper clippings and notes connected by a red string. Incomplete and unorganized, most of it did not make much sense other than the fact that all three men had worked for Wayne Enterprises. But there were just too many unknown gaps for all the papers to come together and form a clear picture. She searched for that aha moment, hoping it would come to her when she put on her glasses each morning.

But no sudden burst of knowledge came to her.

This morning was no exception.

~

"So dad..." Barbara began in a cheerful tone.

"Yes?" James's eyes looked up from the paper in front of his nose.

"I've been meaning to ask about the murders and the disappearances... You think they are connected?" She thought that if she started slow with her questions and built up to the more sensational ones she would get the answers she wanted.

"You know I am not at liberty to say that."

Barbara couldn't help but roll her eyes. "Well, I know. But they have to be connected right?"

"The police believe so, yes." James spread the paper over the table.

"So what do the victims have in common? Besides them being men and working for Wayne Enterprises-"

"Enough of this, Barbara. A young woman should not concern herself with these sorts of things," he scolded.

"Dad, stop pretending like you're not aware of the fact that I want to go into law enforcement." Barbara's chair was pushed back with a piercing screech. "I know you want me to find a 'nice boy to marry,' but we both know I could never be a housewife. The guy would leave me before we even finished our vows!"

"There are plenty of other opportunities for women. Secretaries, librarians, teachers. You would make a good teacher, Barbara. Even a librarian. You're already learning the skill," he pointed out.

"But not a good detective? Or police officer?" She crossed her arms.

James sighed before answering. "No."

Barbara remained silent at this, trying to prevent herself from shouting what makes Sarah Essen capable then?

However, she knew that would only lead to more trouble and she did not want to fight with her dad. Not right now.

But there was also the other subject she meant to ask about and she needed the moment to be perfect if she wanted to succeed.

"I have seen your little display. I know you didn't want me to." His voice ripped her from her thoughts, but it was his next sentence that made her heart sink.

"When I return tonight, I expect it all to be gone."

~

The morning's argument had set something into motion inside Barbara's mind. Something she had been contemplating all through school. Eight hours of pondering this demand had spurred a wild thought to cross her mind.

An act of rebellion.

When she looked back on her life many years later, she realized this moment was inevitable. It had just taken the right spark to ignite the passion within her. She was capable of being on the force and this would prove it. She may be petite and weigh only 110 pounds, but if someone like her could solve these murders and disappearances then why shouldn't be allowed to join the GCPD?