sept

.

.

.

Arielle Evans

Home. My comfort zone. I had begged my mother this morning to let me stay home, and because of what has happened over the last few days, she gave in. So here I am, feasting on a large cheese pizza, watching "Two and a Half Men" reruns. My mother still had to to work, however, because she took the entire four days I was in the hospital off. I slump back on the couch, not focusing on the TV. My mind attempts to process the events that occurred yesterday. Mason's terrified expression when I told him off, the chase through the woods, his harshness. It just doesn't make sense. None of it. He seemed perfectly fine yelling at me, and then when I called him out, he looked terrified. Not of me, but of...himself. I shrug the thought away and continue watching my television.

Mason Richards

I walk through the halls running a hand through my hair, stressed as hell. I don't know what happened to me yesterday. I blew up on Arielle. She looked so terrified, so broken.

 "Hey, Mason." Ashley's kind voice says behind me.

 "Hey, Ash. What's up?" I say nicely. Ashley is the only person in this world who even if I'm the most stressed person on the world, I still manage to be nice to her.

"You looked stressed in math, so I came to check on you. You haven't been yourself all day." Ashley furrows her perfectly plucked eyebrows.

 "Just worried about Arielle, that's all." I tell her honestly. Ashley is one of my best friends, and I know for a fact that if I confide in her she won't tell anyone.

 "Yeah. She's a nice girl." Ashley agrees.

 "Chelsea was a bitch the other day. She shouldn't have done that." I blurt.

 "Yeah. I'm surprised her jealousy went that far." Ashley tells me.

 "Jealousy?" I ask, puzzled.

 "I'll explain later. I have to get to class. Go check on Arielle, since you have free period next." Ashley orders.

 "Whatever you say, milady." I salute before giving her a quick peck on the cheek and heading to my car. I arrive at her house five minutes later, considering that it is really close to the school. I rap on the door with my knuckles and immediately hear footsteps.

 "Who is it?" Arielle calls.

 "Arielle, its Mason," I tell her.

 Her voice immediately changes. "Mason, please go away." The simple four words shatter my heart, and I have no clue why.

 "Arielle, please open the door," I beg.

 "No," is her only response.

 "Arielle, I'm sorry," The words roll off my tongue.

 "So am I, but I didn't even do anything wrong. I'm sorry for trusting you, I'm sorry for thinking that you were different, I'm sorry that I thought you were my friend." She lets out a sob, which twists my gut into a small little knot. 

 I cannot believe my ears. It's funny, actually, how just a few words can change your mood, can change your way of thinking, and can change just about everything. Sobs erupt from the other side of the door, repeatedly, twisting my heart in every way possible.

 "You want to know what I'm sorry for, Arielle?" I ask quietly. More sobs. "I'm sorry for making you think those things aren't true, because they are. You are my friend, you can trust me with anything, and to be honest, I'm broken just hearing you like this. I'm sorry for leading you on, I'm sorry for leaving you like this, I'm sorry for not making it there on time, I'm sorry for everything I have ever done to you." Tears are streaming down my cheeks now. "You're not a nerd, you are beautiful. You're not a loser, you're the most perfect friend anyone could ever ask for. You're not meant to be a victim, you're meant to be the wonderful girl that I have grown close to."

 "I'm not perfect. I'm not wonderful. I'm a nerd, a loser, and a total deadbeat. You said what you said because you're the kindest person anyone has ever met. No one wants to hang out with me, the few people that actually stand up for me just do it because they're sorry for me. I fell for you because I'm a stupid girl who doesn't know her limits," Arielle cries.

 "Arielle, open this door right now," I whack the door with the palm of my hand, and seconds later the wood door slowly creaks open. Arielle's eyes are red and puffy, and her lip is swollen from biting it. I immediately wrap her in a hug the second I see her. "You're the exact opposite of that. You're an intelligent, gorgeous, amazing girl who I wanted to be friends with from the second I saw you. We've known each other for only a short while, but we've been through hell and back, and I swear, my life got better from the second I met you," I say into her hair.

 "Thank you," she whispers, finally giving up on arguing with me. I surprise myself by placing a gentle kiss on her forehead, then pulling away. She gives me a small smile, which warms my heart.

 "So am I forgiven?" I ask, wiggling my eyebrows.

 "Hmm." She pretends to think, tapping her index finger against her chin. "I guess so." Surprising myself for what seems like the millionth time today, I lift her up and swing her in the air like a little girl. She giggles and I see a glint in her eyes. A sparkle that I have never seen before. And it's nothing but beautiful.