quarante

.

.

.

Arielle Evans

"Arielle, these are my best mates that I had originally come here with." Harry smiles as he motions to four boys behind him. "This is Niall," he points to the blonde one who is currently chewing on a slice of pizza, and he waves. "Louis," Harry continues, gesturing towards a boy with blue eyes and brown hair. "Liam," Another brunette, this time with warm brown eyes. "And Zayn." This one is a Muslim boy with tattoos decorating his arms, and his hair styled in a quiff.

"Hey, guys. Nice to finally meet you, I've heard a lot about you boys." I smile, and Liam steps forward, shaking my hand and grinning at me. Louis snickers, and I glance back at him, puzzled.

"If you think you've heard a lot about us, Harold here won't shut up about you." Louis tousles Harry's curls, and Harry swats his hand away.

 "Hey! I am the only one allowed to touch the curls!" I pout at him.

 "Excuse me, miss, but I am his best mate. I am the only one allowed near the curls." Louis sasses.

 Just as I am about to say something back in my defense, Harry silences us both by saying, "Enough. Both of you can share the curls." Louis smirks, and I stick my tongue out at him childishly.

"Arielle, it's getting late. Do you need a ride home?" Harry asks.

 "Mason's my ride," I say, peering into the ballroom. "But it doesn't look like he's coming out anytime soon, so yeah, a ride would be nice, thank you."

"Alright, cool. Let's get going, yeah?" Harry asks, and I nod. I say a goodbye to all of the boys, receiving a hug from Liam and a sassy look from Louis in return. Zayn and Niall grin at me before returning to their positions at the snack table, challenging each other to a punch drink-off of some sort. I follow Harry out to the familiar Range Rover and climb into the passenger seat. When Harry turns the ignition on, the car immediately warms my shivering body from the brisk night air. We don't speak as he pulls out of the parking lot and drives onto the main road.

 "I can't believe you're actually here." I sigh after a few moments of silence, causing Harry to smile without taking his eyes off of the road.

 "I made a promise, didn't I?" he replies with a grin, and I reach over to pinch his cheek.

"You're so adorable." I say, but I immediately regret saying it. "I'm sorry, force of habit."

"It's okay." he says, then pauses. "You know, you're going to have to make the choice sometime, Arielle."

"What do you mean?" I ask, alarmed.

"Between me and Mason. You're hurting us and yourself by going back and forth. Sometimes you want to be with Mason, sometimes you want to be with me. Half the time you say you love me, the other half you say you love him. You're going to have to choose someday." he sighs, gripping the steering wheel tightly.