trente-sept

Dedicated to @spacegoatrocks, bc like you're cool and fab and stuff (:

.

.

.

Harry Styles 

I suppose you could use the term "heartbroken" to describe my emotions. I had acted harshly toward Arielle, but only because I was angry and I couldn't think straight. Now I've gone and broken our relationship.

The look on her face when I told her we couldn't be together was a tragedy in itself. Her eyes were watery, her lip quivering and her expression broken. It hurt to say the words in the first place, and after seeing her expression, I was done for.

It is a little bit hard to admit, but after she left, I did cry for a while. Not very manly of me, I know, but who could blame me? My girlfriend cheated on me and then I broke up with the best thing I had going for me. Mum had come to check on me after a while, and as much as it hurt to tell her, I spilled every last detail of what had happened. All she had done was shake her head and hug me for a bit.

I heard arguing downstairs after I had calmed down a tad, and I finally rolled out of bed and trudged downstairs, though I felt and looked like a mess.

"Marcel, that girl broke your brother's heart less than a few hours ago, and now you're going to see her?" Someone demands, and I easily recognize the voice as Gemma's.

"Gem, he's not the only person in the world that has ever been heartbroken. I've been friends with Arielle for years, so whether she breaks up with a stranger or my brother, I'm still going to be there for her." Marcel replies smugly.

"I can't believe you." Gemma sighs.

"I know you care about Harry, Gem, we all do, but I care about Arielle as well. I'm leaving now, I'll see you later." Marcel says, and I hear a door slam and Gemma's huff before I make my appearance downstairs.

"Well, hello to you too." I mutter when she turns away from me. "Gemma?"

"Oh, Harry, I didn't see you there." she smiles kindly. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm alright, I suppose."

"She hurt you bad, didn't she?" Gemma sighs, running a hand through her thick hair.

"It's not her fault, Gemma. I broke up with her, not the other way around." I sigh, annoyed.

"She cheated on you, though." Gemma points out.

"I don't really want to talk about this, Gemma, especially not with you. Where on Earth is my mother?" I snap.

Gemma rolls her eyes. "Grocery shopping. If you want to go back to your room and finish sulking, you are more than welcome to."

"I'm not a teenage girl, Gemma." I snap.

"Really? Because it sure seemed like it when you were up there bawling your eyes out over that skank you called your girlfriend." Gemma smirks.

"Don't you ever talk about her like that." I clench my fists, resisting the urge to deck her in the jaw only because she is a lady.

"What? I'm just stating the truth." Gemma shrugs, a smile playing on her lips.

"Don't fucking start with me, Gemma." I growl, taking a step closer to her. She takes the hint and shrugs before walking down the hallway to her bedroom and slamming the door. "Bitch." I mutter, and I take my seat on the couch and resume the episode of Friends I was watching earlier, trying to forget both about Arielle and everything that happened.

But I really don't think I can.

Arielle Evans 

"I..I just don't know where we are right now," I say honestly, itching the back of my neck nervously.

"Would you still like to be my girlfriend?" Mason asks softly. I freeze, suddenly remembering what I had promised Harry.

"Are you going to be with him now?" he asks suddenly.

"Uhm...I don't know, Harry. I really don't know. I don't think I'm ready to be in another relationship."

"I don't know, Mason." I answer finally, raking a hand through my hair. I eventually give up with the thick mess, and I tie it in a sloppy bun atop my head.

"What do you mean?" he asks, concern filling his sharp features.

"First I got out of a relationship with you, then the same day I became Harry's girlfriend, and look how that turned out. I just don't know if I want to repeat that with you, considering all that we've been through." I shrug, hoping with all I have that he will understand where I am coming from with this. "I mean, Harry and I just split today. Wouldn't it be a bit sudden if I resumed my position as your girlfriend the very same day?"

"No. Look, we have been through so much, and I doubt either of us will have the energy or the mental capacity to repeat that, so we don't have to worry about that. I don't want to be in that in-between stage where we aren't friends, but we aren't boyfriend and girlfriend, either." Mason replies.

"I don't want to hurt you, Mason. Not again." I say softly.

"That's the thing about pain- it demands to be felt." Mason smiles, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Well, as much as I love the Augustus Waters thing you have going for you," I pause, raising an eyebrow and smirking at him. "I honestly think that we are rushing into this. If we want the relationship we've been struggling for, we have to take it slow."

"How slow would that be?" Mason asks, furrowing his eyebrows. "Because I have been waiting five months for this day."

I laugh quietly, chewing on the inside of my cheek. "I don't exactly know myself. There isn't an exact schedule for when and where it will happen; that's the way life goes, I suppose. I think we're just going to have to go with the flow."

"Well said, Einstein." Mason smirks.

"Einstein wasn't a philosopher, brilliance." I roll my eyes.

"Whatever." Mason shrugs.

"You're such an idiot." I giggle, brushing his nose with mine.

"I know. But now I'm finally your idiot."