huit

.

.

.

Arielle Evans 

My mother makes me go back to the hellhole of a school, telling me that I will be held back a grade if I have too many absences, which I know for a fact isn't true. I trudge down the stairs in skinny jeans and an oversized sweater, and my mother hands me two slices of toast with jam on a plate. I eat slowly, trying to delay my arrival at school as much as possible.

 "Arielle, hurry up. You're going to be late," Mom chastises.

 "You sure I have to go?" I whine.

 "Yes. You can't hide out here any longer," Mom says sternly. I groan, finish off the rest of my toast, slip on my sneakers, and head out the door. I speed-walk to the bus stop and wait for it to arrive. The rain drizzles quietly, a few drops at a time. The bus squeals to a stop, the puddles beneath the tires splashing all over the place. I hop back to avoid getting hit by the muddy water and wait for the bus doors to open. They peel open with a loud squelch, and I climb on.

 "Hi, honey, how are you feeling?" Anne frowns at me apologetically, her red curls bouncing up and down on either side of her face.

 "I'm okay, Anne. Thanks for asking." I give her a small smile before sitting in the seat behind her. To my ultimate surprise, it starts all over again. The constant insults, the flying notes and pencils, everything. These people really don't have any emotions whatsoever. I slump down in my seat as I wait for us to reach Mason's stop. A pencil whacks me in the rib and a tear immediately falls. I wince in pain, resting my arm on my side to protect my ribcage, and I lean my head against the cool glass window. After what seems like forever, the bus halts at the reddish-pink STOP sign I have grown to love. Mason's stop sign. My heart sinks when I see Ashley, but no Mason. Ashley leans over in my seat before going to hers.

 "Sorry, Ari, Mason came down with a fever. Don't worry, I'll take his place for today," She whispers, then giggles. I smile at her as she makes her way back to the populars section of the bus. I groan and sink down in my seat, praying that the ride is over soon.

*

Mason Richards 

 My mind is racing a thousand miles a minute, making my heart pound even faster than it is already. I check my temperature once again and groan when I see the same thing. 101.8 degrees. My mother had refused to let me go to school, no matter how much I begged her. I really hope Ashley can protect Arielle for today. An image of her petrified face pops up in my mind and I squeeze fistfuls of my thick hair, frustrated. I pick up my phone from the nightstand and dial the ten digits that are needed for my relief.

 "Hello?" Ashley's sweet voice greets me.

 "Hey, Ash." I say.

 "Oh, hey, Mason. How are you feeling?" She asks.

 "Not too great, but that's the least of my problems. How's Arielle? Are you with her?" I interrogate.

 "No, we don't have the same health class, remember?" Ash reminds me. It's then when I hear a muffled cry. Arielle's cry. Shit.

Arielle Evans 

 Everyone is now aiming for my ribcage, making me holler out in pain every two seconds. Several pencils hit me in the exact spot where I was kicked at one time, and I cry out in extreme pain. The teacher has left the room to get papers from the copy room, leaving me alone in my misery. I hear thudding footsteps before a red-faced Ashley bursts through the door.

"What is going on here?" She demands. Everyone freezes, including me. "You guys, I swear...you just can't give her a break, can you?" Murmurs resound from all around the room. "If you don't stop now, I'm calling both Mason and Principal Ruth." she threatens. Everyone stops then, simply staring at Ashley. "I'm leaving now, and if I hear a single word about someone mistreating Arielle, that will be the end of your stay at Liberty High, do you hear me?"

 "Yes." everyone choruses. I'm in pure shock. It's truly amazing how Mason and Ashley simply have to step in and everyone drops. They're like personal bodyguards. Ashley exits the room and everyone resumes their chatter, not one person daring to even look my way. I sigh in relief and rest my head on the desk.

 Ashley Todd

 I storm out of the room. The nerve of these people, I swear! I click Speed Dial #2 on my phone and hold it up to my ear as it rings.

 "Ash, I'm sorry, my mom won't let me come out of the house." Mason says the second he picks up.

 "Don't worry, M, I took care of it. She's okay now," I promise.

 He sighs in relief. "Okay, Ash, thanks. You're amazing."

 I laugh. "I know."

a/n

crap chapter i know im v sorry 

but vote comment share still if youre a nice person

i love u all