Ch 8--Caught in the Rain

Start from the beginning

    "Dry off a bit before you come inside. These tile floors are dangerous when they get wet, I hate them. Take your shoes off and just leave them by the mat there," She pointed at a carpet square on the floor. Evan slipped his sneakers off and started rubbing the towel over his hair. He rung his shirt out a bit, and kept the towel over his shoulders.

    "Come with me, I'll show you a bathroom where you can shower. Let me find some dry clothes for you." She led him up the staircase that brought them to the floor with Connor and Zoe's bedrooms. Evan pulled the towel more tightly around his shoulders, feeling chilly from the cold rain.

    She looked at him carefully.

    "Hmm...you're probably closer to Zoe's size..." she said, "But I think Connor's stuff will fit you better." She opened the door across from Connor's room, entering his walk-in closet (yes, it was an actual room that was converted into a giant closet) and came out with a pair of sweatpants, a tshirt,  and a sweatshirt.    

    "I'm sorry it's all black, but you know Connor."

    Evan shrugged.

    "Thanks."

Cynthia returned downstairs, and found Connor lounging on his favorite couch in the den covered by a blue blanket.

"Connor can I talk to you?" She asked.

Connor groaned and sat up like it was the most inconvenient thing.

"If it's about me cutting class today, I just want--"

"No, it isn't about that." She glared at him and he grinned sheepishly back at her. "But we will talk about that later, young man. I want to talk to you about Evan."

Connor narrowed his eyes but quickly smiled.

"Oh yeah. What about him?"

Cynthia wasn't fooled.

"Connor, why aren't you two getting along? Evan's a sweet boy, it shouldn't be too hard to be friends with him."

Connor flopped back on the couch and covered his favorite with the blanket.

"Cynthia, we're fine. We've only known each other a couple days, it's going to take us a while to become really good friends."

"Well can't you try harder?"

"I'm trying the best I can!"

"Really? Then how come you let him walk home in the rain?" Connor stiffened. "I was coming home from the school, I was there for a PTA thing, and I see a kid running in the rain with his coat that had no hood pulled up to his ears. He told me not to say anything, but I really want this to work for you, honey. Are you making him walk every day after school?"

"Uhm, no." Connor sat up and looked at the floor.

"Connor Michael Murphy, you wouldn't even give him a ride home from school? You're both in the same place. What is it with you? Why are you like this?"

"There's nothing wrong with me, I'm fine." He pulled his hood up over his head and stuffed his hands in his pockets. "I'm going to my room."

"Please stop. Just try and be friends with him."

Connor ignored her and stormed upstairs. Just as he passed the bathroom Evan was currently using, Evan stepped outside.

*

Meanwhile, upstairs Evan went to the bathroom and took a hot shower to warm himself up. His toes were freezing from being in wet socks, but the shower made him feel much better.

    He put on the clothes Cynthia gave him and looked at himself in the mirror. He used a towel to wipe the condensation off the mirror and laughed at himself.

    He was swimming in Connor's clothes. The sweatpants would have fallen off his hips if he hadn't tied the string tight, and the sweatshirt sleeves went far past his fingertips. He rolled the sleeves up a bit, cuffing them at his wrists and exited the bathroom.

    The second he opened the door, he was slammed into a wall and came face-to-face with an angry Connor.

    "What did you say to Cynthia?" He seethed, pulling Evan's collar up to his chin.

    "N-n-nothing!" Evan managed, standing on tip toes so he could breathe. What was Connor on about?

    "Yeah? You didn't say anything to her about me not picking you up after school?"

    Evan paled. Cynthia must have mentioned something to Connor.

    "N-no!" he squeaked. "I-I-I told h-her I didn't m-mind, and I, that you h-had, and I had t-to, my t-teacher, and-" Evan rambled, cutting himself off when he realized he wasn't making any sense.

    Connor narrowed his eyes and moved closer, so their noses were almost touching. He still had both of his fists pinning Evan against the wall.

    "I swear, Hansen, if I find out you're lying..."

    "I'd never lie to you." Evan breathed out, feeling his heart rate increase. Connor's gaze flicked to Evan's lips, then back to his eyes. He must have realized how close they were, and he backed up, letting go of Evan's shirt. The light must have been funky where they were standing, because Evan swears he saw Connor blush.

    "Yeah. Good." He turned around. "Now let's go. You wasted a bunch of time in the shower, and you still have lots to do today."

    Evan sighed, taking in a shaky breath before slowly stumbling after Connor. For some reason, his knees felt very weak.

***

Hi all, so sorry I forgot to post yesterday. I was busy all morning and then accidentally went for a three hour walk...it's a long story. Anyway, I hope you like this chapter!

~hamilfan123987