CHAPTER 13

AUTHOR'S NOTE: HIT THAT LITTLE STAR BUTTON IF YOU LIKE THIS CHAPTER. HAPPY READING.

                                   CHAPTER 13

I sighed for the hundredth time as I looked at myself in the mirror. I rubbed my hands down the soft material of my black strapless gown. It was beautiful, simple and elegant. I admit I looked pretty. My hair was tied up in a perfect bun with the side strands curled and falling on my face.

Yeah, it's Friday night. The masquerade is tonight. I know it's a very important day for my father and Joffery and pretty much everyone as we are going to announce our merger project but I have a very bad feeling for tonight.

Well you cannot blame me for being so pessimistic. Nothing goes well when I am together with Ryder and Joffery in the same room or if my father and Ryder are in the same room and tonight my dad is going to find about Ryder and Jofffery's business deal. He is so going to freak out, I have called extra security. You know, just in case.

I slipped into my silver pumps and grabbed my silver clutch. Giving one final glance to myself in the mirror I left my house. John was waiting downstairs with me and he opened the car door when he saw me approaching me.

"Good evening Miss Smith. You look beautiful." He smiled at me.

"Thank you John." I replied and tried to get inside the car as swiftly as I could. Trust me that is not at all easy in something that I am wearing. After around a twenty minutes ride, we reached our destination and John parked the car at the front gate of the hotel.

Okay Katherine calm down. There are going to be flashes and mics and media all over you so try not to trip. Do whatever just don't fall. You don't want to make the front page on your butt. I let out a long breath and got out of the car and as expected I was surrounded by cameras and mics at once with people asking me so many questions that I could not even understand in between so much of noise. I heard someone shouting over all the buzzing.

"Miss Katherine, what's the big announcement tonight?"

I turned towards the source of voice and gave my perfect smile for the camera.

"You will have to wait and find out."

I ignored all the other questions and followed two men dressed in black suit who safely escorted me inside. Well these are the perks of being famous and rich. I am sure Joffery cannot even breathe without making it to the headlines.

The voices died down once I made inside the hall. I need to give some credit to the two men. Everything looks so perfect here. The hall is looking beautiful and there is some soft music playing in the background. I took out my white and silver feather mask from my purse and put it on. It covered almost entire of my face so I was kind of hoping Ryder would not find me, well for as long as possible. Eventually I have to go in front of the cameras with him and Joffery.

I walked down the grand stairs that led to the hall. People were gathered in small groups with glasses of expensive wines in their hands and wearing designer clothes. All the faces were covered in colorful masks and I felt like I was on a different planet. I reached the bottom of the stairs and I kind of felt lost in my own party. That was until an arm wrapped around my waist and pulled me a little closer to his side.

" Joffery." I said, turning around and looking at him.

"Katherine. You look beautiful." He whispered in my ears. I smiled and took a step back.

"You are not wearing your mask. It's a masquerade." I said eyeing him up and down. He looked really handsome in black and white tux. His hair gelled back and it made him look really good.