Chapter 38

AUTHOR'S NOTE- PEOPLE, PLEASE DON'T HATE ME AND BEFORE YOU TRY KILLING ME IN THE DMS PLEASE WAIT FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER. GO AHEAD. HAPPY READING. 

 CHAPTER 38

It has been two days since the amazing night came to an end and Joffery dropped me home. He and I bonded a lot over this one night that we had not over all these days. We talked, a lot, and instead of trying to know about his past or finding anything about his relationship with Ryder, I tried making new memories from the present.

I lay on my bed as I thought what tomorrow's morning is going to bring. There was no hint of sleep in my eyes in-spite of having a long tiring day. In the wake of the sunlight, things would start to turn different. People would see me not just as Katherine Smith but also as the fiancé of the richest most eligible bachelor, even though fake. Would all this take me away from the remaining pieces I have had left of Ryder in my heart? Would things between me and Josh change? I have no answer to the questions flooding my mind and taking away my sleep. So, I got up, pulled the silk robe over my body and tied it tightly around my waist. The soft dim light coming from the bed side lamp illuminated the room enough to enable me see the dress I was supposed to wear in my so called engagement party placed hanging on the closed wardrobe doors. The dress was beautiful and the first thing that I thought when I saw it was I would have loved it more the first time when all this was for real. Or so I thought. I was wearing my ripped jeans and crop top when Ryder had texted me to meet at our spot. I thought we were just going to sit on the car's bonnet and eat pizza watching the sunset like we usually do. That was the most beautiful sunset of my life. Or maybe I still regard that as one but let's not go there. We have more alarming situation at hand.

The fingers of my right hand automatically reached to feel the curved surface of the rock hard diamond sitting on my ring finger. Don't know how no one noticed it yet but I could not bring myself to take the ring out even when I knew the media was following my every move. Maybe I was afraid I would lose one thing that still made me feel connected to my past, the past I was not yet ready to let go no matter how painful it was or how much I tried. Maybe because it was time I discovered the whole truth and for that I would have to play along Ryder and not against him. I pulled out the ring and stared at my finger as a foreign feeling settled in my stomach. A part of me suddenly started feeling empty and so did my hand. I opened and closed my fist a couple of times trying to relax my muscles and getting used to the feeling.

I walked towards the wardrobe, took off the dress from the door handles and placed it on the bed and then put the ring in the locker.

I headed downstairs to continue the rest of the thought process with a cup of coffee. I knew the only person who could answer all my queries was the question himself. And he would not. Ryder has bigger motives here. I now know he came back for a reason or maybe multiple reasons and he would not let me find those out unless it's his own choice. But maybe, just a maybe, I am one of those reasons.

Four empty cups were resting on the table by the time the sun came up. My caffeine drenched body was energized and I told myself I could do this. I got up and headed back into my room to get a nice bath. Once I got dressed for work, I put a considerable enough of time hiding my dark circles. I know there is going to be a commotion outside my office. The media would be going crazy as I tried maintaining a low profile all the week and I could not give away my real emotions.

I stared at my reflection in the mirror for another minute and whoever stared back was just as normal as me but today she was not the real Katherine Smith. The redness of her cheeks was caused because of the expensive makeup and not the natural rush of blood as she felt all the blood draining out of her slowly.