half / 9

Tell a tale of a girl who was in turmoil, sitting on the lap of another girl at the passenger seat of a car. With arm wrapped across another girl's shoulder, she remained her eyes close. In unexpected safety and in unexplainable contentment.

For how long? I had no idea.

It was a bizarre gesture.

She was gentle. Against of how the people viewed her. In contrast to the first impression I had for her. Part of me didn't want to believe that she came for me, another part was confused and the rest of the feelings were somewhat imprecise. Of all people, Khloe was the one who comforted me to tender calmness.

She was the one who brought me inside her embrace.

For how long? Doesn't matter.

As our hands were entwined on my lap, the radio turned into another pop song I couldn't recognize. It was sweet but I tried my hardest to ignore the melody.

The last thing I wanted, is to make her feel awkward at our position. I didn't want her to retract her arms around my waist. I didn't want her to think that this wasn't right because it felt like it was not wrong at all.

It was not wrong to let your enemy with benefits to hold you like this. Like a normal couples would do, like a sugary lovers would do.

I didn't want to think of this as a wrongdoing because I knew that I needed this kind of hug just for once. It was my right to be contained like this after all this time. I wanted to relish the moment even if I knew for a fact that this was all an authentic illusion.

What brought me at this point?

Tiana. She was one of my closest friend and I truly value our friendship. She was like my sister to me, like I had Cassie— my long gone sister who had picked me as her sibling. To fulfill her role as a good daughter. To be a replacement once her life ended.

I recalled what I felt back then. When I was young and dumb, I was outside staring at the scene happening inside a hospital room. Mom was weeping, holding the lifeless girl she deeply loved more than anyone. The sound of the flat line was a torture in my ears while Dad was kneeling on the floor, head on his hands and crying in despair.

It was at that moment that I had promised myself to do everything I can for them. To make them feel my sister had chosen me right to gratify the fissure in their heart which she involuntarily formed when she left us.

And knowing that Tiana was inside the hospital room, struggling for her life brought back the feelings and memories within me that I preserved for a long time.

"Do you want me to drop you home?" Khloe asked in a gentle manner. "I can just drive your car and go back here for mine."

"N-No," I murmured, squeezing her closer. "I'm not ready to go home yet."

She sighed. "We can't stay here though. Do you want to grab some food and then we can go to the tree house if you'd like?"

I barely nodded, not planning to let go of her yet.

Khloe understood my unwillingness to free her as she pressed her lips on my temple. Her fingers stroked my hair in care then proceeded to lift my hand to place a kiss at the back of my hand. Her lips lingered there for a bit before her eyes averted to mine.

"You know what, I have an idea. Why don't you turn your feelings into an art? Let go of your emotions by painting my unfinished canvas?" she proposed, causing me to blink twice.