Boys

Emerson arrives around eleven. My parents and Delilah are more than happy to have her home, also.

Little do they know, she's only here to talk with me about my assault.

"Emerson! You look amazing!"

That's a silent jab at me, even if they didn't mean it. I'm the screw up in this. I'm the one who fell and landed into the wrong crowd.

Everyone knows that.

Emerson still has her hair halfway down her back, not dyed from the original dark brown, and is a straight A student. I cut my hair to a little longer than shoulder and dyed it black.

"I've missed you so much! How is school going?"

"Good. Sapphire and I both studied for hours to take that exam, and I think I passed!"

"That's great news!"

Not surprising is more like it.

"You must be exhausted. Come on, your room is still open."

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm completely forgotten here. I slip upstairs before my mother and Emerson can.

When they enter the room, I'm completely ignored.

"I'm surprised Riley hasn't taken the room. She still hates sharing a room with Cory, right?"

"Yes. But I'm going to wait until you and Julien settle down in your own houses before I give her this room."

"She's 15. She's bound to start getting interested in boys soon. She's going to want privacy."

Oh this statement does not make my mother happy. She looks at me, appalled.

"There is no way that I am letting my 15 year old behind closed doors with a boy."

"You let me behind closed doors with boys."

"You never showed an interest in them. I had nothing to worry about."

"It's better to let her know she's welcomed here than having her take long drives with him in a car."

Emerson is holding back laughter. My mother is clueless to the meaning of the little joke my twin and I share. She doesn't know that Em lost it in the back of Kyle Murphy's car her senior year.

"I guess I can't control her forever, but I'm not ready to let another girl leave."

"She's in tenth grade, Mom. She's not going anywhere yet. She's got two more years before she even graduates."

This seems to relax her and she smiles.

"I'll let you girls get some rest. I'm just glad that both of you are home."