Chapter 13 - Open

Sitting on the edge of the bed, I picked up my phone and saw it was earlier than I thought

Sitting on the edge of the bed, I picked up my phone and saw it was earlier than I thought. I could probably even get the tube if I needed to. I was relieved that I'd at least worn flat shoes and not heels, so I wasn't a complete moron.

I turned when I heard the sound of the bathroom door opening. Harry came out looking less annoyed, but still said nothing until he got back into bed.

"So, Mrs. French, where are you from?"

The way his annoyance had slipped away threw me off, and I couldn't say anything at first. I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd thrown me out of the room, chucking my clothes at me as he yelled 'Read this in the papers, you old bitch!' Perhaps I'd been with Will so long, I'd forgotten that most grown men didn't have tantrums, or sulk for hours, or make threats when they were upset or offended.

"Hm?" Harry prompted, expecting an answer.

"Uh... Liverpool," I replied, surprised that I'd given him the real answer and not the vague 'Up north' answer.

"A scouser, eh?" Putting on a Liverpudlian accent, he shifted closer to me, putting his hand on my shoulder to pull me down to lie next to him. "That accent's buried - why?"

Realising that the moment of upset was gone and Harry seemed to have already forgotten it, I frowned. "That's two questions; it's my turn."

"Ok! I'm ready."

"Why did you speak to me the night we met?"

Putting his finger to his mouth, he tapped his bottom lip thoughtfully, pondering the reason he'd approached me. After our brief awkward moment, I suspected he was regretting that decision and every one since which had led here. Humming loudly, he smiled at me cheekily and finally answered.

"Easy! I thought you looked fit." I narrowed my eyes at him while he giggled and pressed a kiss to my shoulder. Clearing his throat, he calmed his laughter. "As well as that - and this might surprise you - but I knew who you were. I'd sort of been watching you and wondering why Will kept leaving you alone."

I laughed, the sound much more bitter than I intended. "That's just how it works at those events; that's why I tend to spend them drunk."

"I'm getting that impression," Harry muttered with annoyance. At least whomever he married had very little chance of him letting them be left alone. "So, I was talking to my friend and watching you, but Will was gone for ages, so I thought I'd come and say hello."

Pinching his cheek, I leaned up to kiss him and hoped it would hide the sudden desire to cry. I'd been to many, many parties with Will, and I'd long since given up making an effort with the other guests. When we were first married, I'd look forward to socialising and being the woman on William French's arm, but he'd quickly nipped my life-of-the-party spirit in the bud. I was meant to be seen and not heard. Hearing Harry say he'd noticed me, and that he'd made the effort to say hello, doubled my affection for him. I felt even worse for insulting him.