「 ❄️ SILENT NIGHT / DANSBY SWANSON. 」

DANSBY SWANSON IMAGINE

" silent night - for layla "

All is calm,

Going home for Christmas was one of the most exciting times of the year for Layla. It was a nice break from the never-ending sea of papers and projects that came with being a college student (besides, finally -- nice home cooked meals!).

After taking all of her final exams, lugging all of her belongings into her car, and driving home from her college, Layla arrived on her doorstep. She tried to keep calm, but the anticipation of seeing everyone for the first time in what felt like forever (yes, she was home for Thanksgiving, but that seemed like ages ago after everything that happened since) was getting too much to bear.

Her father opened the door, and the smile that broke out across his face was worth all the stress of the drive home.

"Hi, darling." He greeted before hugging her, and she wrapped her arms around him.

"Hi dad, it's so good to see you!"

After he helped her carry all of her things inside, she greeted her mother, and they bombarded her with questions about her finals, her friends and the state of her semester, Layla was lounging on the couch. It almost felt as though no time had passed, which surprised even her -- time had a funny way of working like that.

Perhaps it was the nostalgia that always washed over her whenever she watched these old Christmas specials, but as Charlie Brown was explaining all of his problems to Lucy on the screen, Layla's mind wandered back to the source of all of her problems.

Her next door neighbor, Dansby Swanson.

Her mother always had the uncanny ability to know what she was thinking and, as she strolled into the room to sit beside her on the couch, the older woman reached out to nudge at her daughter.

"Dansby asked about you."

"Oh?" Layla tried to make it seem like she didn't really care all that much.

Her mother knew better.

"Yes. He got back yesterday and must have thought you were here." Layla's mother explained before taking a deep sigh. "You can't avoid that boy forever."

Layla's reply was quick.

"I can try."

Her mother rolled her eyes and scoffed. "You are as stubborn as your father."