.:7:.

I wearily glanced back behind me, as I watched Vic obnoxiously slide down the handrail of the dormant escalator, crying out enthusiastically, as the three other boys laughed at him. Unsurprisingly, I stood right at the back of everyone else with my hands in my pockets, looking over my shoulder in a paranoid way, picturing the cops or my mother bursting in and catching us. I knew that I was being a killjoy, but I could not stop being concerned. This was the first time I had done anything remotely rebellious and the stress I had felt before came back, worse than ever.

Despite the anxiety of the situation, our setting was actually quite interesting. I had never seen an abandoned mall before, so being inside of one was obscure. Most of the stores were empty except for a few items (Gabe found a gem in the form of an ancient speaker and rewired it to play music from his phone). People had clearly ventured inside before, as graffiti littered the walls and some things had been smashed. We could not find the power switch, and were too scared to enter the basement, so we set up a bunch of torches that the boys brought, as well as a few that we had found here, to provide an interesting source of light.

We had a look around the higher levels, but stayed on the ground floor, as the building seemed very fragile and we did not want to risk anything collapsing underneath us as we messed around. I shoved my hands into my pockets and sighed, wondering when this would be over. All I wanted to do was just get home, slip into bed, and pretend like none of this actually happened.

"Why the sad face?" I jumped when a tanned arm was slung over my shoulder carelessly and a giddy Vic appeared next to me.

"I'm just really paranoid about everything, sorry," I said, shrugging his arm off me and wrapping my own around my torso. I just really disliked this situation; it was much nicer when it was just Vic and I out on the field. Mainly because that wasn't illegal, but this is.

Justin called out to everyone, having had retrieved something from his backpack, so we all approached. I was not sure what I was expecting, but it definitely was not a couple of blunts in a plastic bag.

I uneasily glanced at Vic, then the others. None of them seemed affected by the sight, maybe a little excited.

"Your boy Justin always comes prepared," the bassist said smugly and sat on the floor, all of us doing so too, forming a circle. "It's already grinded and rolled. You're welcome."

When I agreed to coming here, I certainly had not realised that we would be smoking weed. I knew that it was something normal for teenagers to do, but I had never tried it before, mostly due to not having anyone to do it with. I never really had an opinion on it, but now it just made me weary as it only added to the list of illegal things we were doing today.

I watched as the boys passed the, now lit, blunt around our circle. It got to Vic, and I watched as he put it to his lips, then sucked in a deep breath of it. Losing myself in thought came quickly, as I remembered what he had told me beforehand. I guessed that he did not want to discuss it in front of the others, and neither did I, but I felt like I had been left at a cliffhanger, with so many unanswered questions and queries, the main being why anyone would even like me in the first place.

Vic smiled and passed the blunt to me, apparently taking my staring as a sign that I wanted it. I just shook my head at him and sighed, really not being in the mood for this.

"Are you sure? It's the purple haze strain. That stuff makes you all happy and giddy, might de-stress you," Vic offered again, so charismatically that I almost changed my mind and took it, but I was in such a low mood that I thought nothing could change it. Simply, I passed the blunt along to Jack without bringing it anywhere near my lips. I knew that I would feel the effects of it from inhaling some of the smoke too, but nowhere near as much as the others. The fumes themselves were making the back of my throat burn.