.:6:.

With my heart beating rapidly against my chest, I zipped up my leather jacket and silently shut the front door, my movements only being illuminated by a distant streetlight. This was by far the most reckless, rebellious, and unnecessarily stupid thing I had done in my life.

I felt so paranoid; if my parents found out that I was going to break into an abandoned mall with my friends, let alone sneak out at night, they would be absolutely furious. I had never been a problematic kid, I never caused trouble, yet the first time I was going to disobey was straight into something illegal. They could not know about this.

It was five minutes until midnight, as I stalked down the lonely street with my hands shoved deep into my pockets. This was surprisingly eerie and a pindrop could easily be heard. I felt like the only person in the world and jumped at any movement I noticed. Why did I let myself be convinced to do this?

I was shaking and not from the cold - it was actually quite warm as summer was nearing. I was so stressed about this whole situation and it was definitely not doing my mental health any good. It was too late to give up now though.

Finally, after what felt like hours but was only a few minutes, I reached the park. The only source of light in the whole area was the bright crescent moon. It was just as silent as before, with the only sound being my heavy breathing, making it even more haunting. My eyes scanned the broad field by the playground and, to my surprise I saw no one.

I frowned. Was I the first one to get here? It seemed unlikely, as it was only one minute past midnight now. Had they all ditched me? Was this some sort of practical joke? I bit my lip, hard. What if the band weren't actually my friends and this was all a way to get me into trouble? They all seemed so genuine, but it was not unlikely at this point.

I felt so helpless and was about to start heading back when, in the middle of the field, I noticed something - someone. I had not seen them before, as they were lying on their back, facing up at the starry sky. To my dismay, I could barely see them when the moon as my only light source. I did, however, notice the dark clothing they were wearing, the bag they had with them, and the fact that they were scanning the area around them every few moments.

It must have been one of the guys; no one else would come to a dodgy park this late at night, in the exact clothing that had been described to me, and looking like they were searching for something. I decided that proceeding forwards would be better than going back, in case it was actually one of them. If not, then I could run fast enough. Maybe.

The closer I got to the centre of the dark field, the clearer the image of the person became.

"Vic?" I said when I was standing over him. "Where is everyone else? I thought you guys had ditched me or something."

"We'd never ditch you," Vic said, reached up and taking my hand. He pulled me downwards so that I was on the ground with him, and laid down so I did too. "The guys will be here in about half an hour."

I frowned, looking up at the sky, "Why the change of plan?"

Vic turned to me with a sheepish look, "There was never actually a change of plan, we were supposed to meet at 12:30. I just wanted you to come out here with me, so I told you it was at midnight."

My frown deepened, but I was relieved that I had not actually been ditched by my friends. However the solution of one mystery brought up so many more, like why Vic wanted me here with him. I was about to speak up and ask him, but he reached out and took my backpack so that I could lie flat on my back. He then took hold of my chin and made me look away from him, instead angling my vision towards the sky, and I could instantly tell why.

The sky was dazzling that night. One million stars glowed brightly, looking like pebbles which had been spilled onto a dark carpet. Some shone brighter than others, but all were just as breathtaking as each other. The crescent moon complimented the colours and stood out from within the stars.

"It's pretty, isn't it?" Vic murmured, but I did not even look at him, as the sight before me seemed too precious to take my eyes off of.

It was so relaxing to lie there with Vic, listening to the hum of distant vehicles and enjoying the view. I felt so much better and felt a lot of the anxiety drifting away.

"Do you do this often? As in, coming here at night?" I asked, for no reason other than shear curiosity.

"Whenever the stars are out," Vic murmured back and, for some unknown reason, his reply made me grin softly.

At that moment in time, I felt content with everything. Looking up at the stars made me feel so small and insignificant, as if Vic and I were just floating together with no time passing in the real world. I had never done this before, as I was not daring enough, but this seemed like such a good way to relieve myself of stress that I genuinely considered doing it more often.

"You know, I wish I could be like one of the stars," I found myself whispering, speaking my thoughts. "So far away from everyone and not having to deal with anything."

Vic turned onto his side so that he was facing me, the moonlight casting a heavenly glow onto him.

"Don't be a star," he countered. "The stars that we see are millions of light years away, so it takes ages for light to travel from them to here. This means that most of the visible stars died thousands of years ago but, because we're so far away, we can't see it yet."

"Nerd," I could not help but tease. "But, I guess I don't want to be dead, so being a star isn't an option."

Vic nodded, "You can be the moon."

I smiled at that and agreed. "What about you? All of the stars are dead, so you can't be one of them. I'm the moon, so you can't be that either."

"We can both be the moon," Vic said. "You'll be the bright side and I'll be the dark side."

I smiled even wider, as I glanced at Vic then back up to the stars. That boy definitely had a head full of interesting ideas.

The two of us lay together in silence for a while again but, for some obscure reason, Vic was not gazing up at the stars like he had been doing before. The boy stayed on his side, staring at me with those large eyes of his. I did not think that I was more pleasant to look at than the sky above us, but Vic could do whatever he wanted, even if it made my cheeks burn bright red.

Long minutes passed by with no words from either of us, until the atmosphere was cut through with a knife by Vic, and his words which took me by surprise.

"I really like you, Kellin," he said quietly.

My eyebrows knitted together, as I tore my eyes away from the flickering orbs in the sky and looked at Vic. My face must have turned an even darker shade of crimson.

"W-what?" I stuttered incoherently. As if this night could not get any more wild.

"I like you," Vic repeated, "and I hope I'm not being weird or too forward, because we've only known each other for a short while, but-"

The boy's confession was interrupted, as his face suddenly became illuminated by what I later found out to be the light from a flashlight.

"Can you guys stop fucking each other in the field? We need to get going, we don't have all night," I was surprised to hear the distant voice of Justin call out to us from the edge of the field.

Vic rolled over onto his back then stood up, reached out his hands for me to take, as he pulled me up onto my feet. We collected our bags and I felt like my face was going to explode from how much blood had rushed to it, as we approached the three other boys.