Three Simple Words

"Are you alright?" I ask Bonnie, managing to place some concern in my voice.

"I'm fine," she says, rubbing her neck. "What was that about?"

I raise a brow. "What was what about?"

"Those stupid pet names and her warning you to stay away. Did you talk already?"

I purse my lips, shrugging. "We spoke. She said we were alike and that she wanted me to stay out of her way. Said she didn't want me to get caught in the crossfire."

"Why would she say that? She wants everyone to get hurt," Bonnie says, her eyes widening a little.

I shrug again. "No idea." I hated thinking that I was anything like Katherine. I mean, sure, we dress alike and stuff, but I'm no masochistic vampire that's been alive for 500 years. And how did she know about me? Calling me "little pup" and stuff. How did she know about me being a werewolf?

Bonnie scoffs. "Yeah, whatever. She's crazy."

Bonnie wanders off and I venture off to find Damon. I eventually find him inside, drinking per usual.

"Can I get one?"

Damon's attention turns from a couple dancing over to me.

"So we're talking now?" he asks, sounding bored, but his eyes showed hope, which would have made me smile.

I sigh and take a sip of his drink. "I don't know. I mean, I can't be mad at you. But you still kissed the dopplebitch."

Damon sighs, taking his drink back and ordering another for me. "She seduced me. I was as shocked as you, trust me."

My drink arrives and I down it in a second. I didn't know how to answer. I love Damon, but I know in my heart I could never fully have him. There will always be something or someone to stand in our way. I barely remember the last time we kissed without someone saying anything bad about it.

"I got you something," he says breaking me out of my thoughts. Damon was staring at me. I turn my head and arch an eyebrow.

"For what?"

"Your birthday."

I sigh and look away again.

"I said I didn't want anything for my birthday."

"Well, I didn't listen." Damon pulls out a long navy blue box from his jacket pocket. It was decorated with a small bow and a tag rested in between the bow and box. Sighing, I take the gift from his hands and pick out the tag.

"Happy Birthday, Bright Eyes. Love, Damon" was written on the note in calligraphic font. I tucked the note back between the ribbon and opened up the box, revealing a gold necklace with one charm in the centre. There were markings on the charm, but it was unclear of what it said or meant. I started at the beautiful necklace, confused when Damon took it out of the box and held it up. He spun the charm and I finally realized what the necklace said. The words 'I Love You' blurred as the charm spun, and immediately I thought it was the cleverest thing anyone could come up with. I couldn't help but smile.

"I love it," I tell him. He just walks around me, brushing my braid to the side as he clipped the necklace around my neck. The cold metal sat on my chest, and Damon wrapped his arms around me from behind.

My mind was spinning. The necklace said those three little words, and Damon never said those words to me before. I imagined him saying it once or twice in a dream, but here was this little necklace that made my heart pound against my chest.

Damon seemed to pick up on the internal questioning. "Let me guess," he says, "you're wondering if I love you, right?"

I just shrug and he turns me around to face him, his fingers sliding between mine. The moment his skin touched mine, the air felt lighter and the lights seemed brighter.