Filler Paper

It was almost sundown by the time Elena called, telling Damon that she was on her way over. Minutes before, Alaric Saltzman, my history teacher, called Damon to tell us he had some information about Isobel, Elena's mom, and where she might be. Damon told him to come in an hour to pick him up so they can check it out.

"Stefan isn't eating," Elena said through the phone. "What kind of—animal blood does he like?"

"Stefan likes...Puppy blood...Little golden retriever puppies with cute, floppy ears. That's his favorite," Damon joked.

I almost spit out my coffee, holding back the urge to act offended, since I was technically part-dog. Elena scoffed, hanging up the phone.

Not long after, Elena arrived, heading straight down to the cellar. I followed her, finding Stefan on his cot. He sat still, his eyes to the floor. His skin was almost translucent under the dim lights.

"How you feelin'?" I ask, looking past the bars.

When he doesn't respond, Elena tells Stefan he needs to drink some animal blood she brought.

"You need it, Stefan. Can't survive without it," I say with a slight frown.

"I don't want to survive," Stefan utters without looking at us.

"What? Don't say that," Elena demands.

"I'm sorry, Elena. No more. After what I've done, it has to end. I just want it over."

I sigh and shake my head, tugging on Elena's arm.

"Come on, Elena, we can't do anything for him right now."

She hesitates, but follows me upstairs where Damon was, still on the couch.

"He's just being dramatic," Damon tells us when we sit down. "He's not gonna starve himself."

"Why would he say that?" Elena asks, taking a seat across from us.

"He feels bad for hurting Amber," I tell her.

"It's a very typical Stefan martyr stuff. It will pass," Damon adds.

"Will it? Because he seemed to be in a lot of pain."

"Yeah, well, that will pass too. Once he eats."

"She didn't mean physical pain," I tell him.

"I know what you mean," he tells us. "Look, are you two gonna be okay here if I have to run out? I have to go to an errand with the teacher."

"The teacher? Alaric? Are you two friends now?" Elena questions.

"I don't have any friends," he tells her. I punch his arm and he rubs the spot while giving me a 'What the hell?' look.

"You have a very amazing friend right here," I tell him, gesturing to myself. He rolls his eyes.

"You aren't my friend. You're my partner in crime. There's a difference," he responds, standing up. He leans down and kisses me on the cheek which made my stomach flutter.

"Right."

"You both should, um, you should stay up here. You shouldn't be down there by yourselves."

"We'll be fine," Elena assures him.

"You know—you're very trusting of him, given the circumstances."

"So are you. Otherwise, you wouldn't be leaving," I counter with a smile.

"I won't be long," he tells us before exiting the house.