Part XIV

A day passed and Rosetta sat there in the corner of a cathedral, ruined by war. Rubble laid scattered all over the place. Alexis dead, Mirabel dead, Aura, the real Aura, long dead for many years now. She grew ever so alone. She wrapped her arms around her legs and pressed her knees up against her weeping face.

She buried her face as she shivered in the cold empty wind. Her only warmth was the hot tears spawn from her despair. Even when surrounded by guards she felt ever so alone. Deprived of the entity Aura's presence she felt cold, empty, weak.

The entity's presence had been warmth, it was an intoxicating addiction. It provided her with the love she craved so dearly, it presented her with a sweet alternative. Like a daemon, Gwen'thalas had lured her from the Emperor's light and into its own arms.

She realised she was so much more. She was a Sororitas, exemplar of the faithful and scion of the imperial church. She bore this truth with all her heart. Never again will such entities lead her astray. Never again will she rely on something that can be taken away.

The sound of metal smashing against stone followed by the loud stamp of boots against marble. Out from the shadows, Mimir appeared as he usually did and out from a hall came the Inquisitor.

"It is not here!" The Inquisitor barked.

"Lord Theodosius, I never said its presence here was a certainty." Reminded Mimir.

The two met in the centre of the hall, before the cathedral's altar. The Inquisitor stood as tall and proud as ever in his anger. He gestured to everything around.

It had been the first time Rosetta had heard Inquisitor Theodosius' name. With it came a sense of authority no mortal should have.

"Time grows short and all you have to present to me is empty ruins and some whimpering girl!" Theodosius said.

"It must have been moved somehow..." Mimir's eyes turned towards Rosetta as he spoke "...If only I could-"

"I've had enough of your empty promises Hermit! Chaos moves faster than I can track it and you stand around bandying worthless words! You-"

Theodosius cut himself off as a message reached his personal vox set. He looked away as muted clicking emanated from his hood. A moment later the Inquisitor looked back at Mimir.

"Another of your... Solutions is about to present itself... Do not test my patience Mimir." He warned as he turned about and went back the way he came.

-//-

Mimir then turned his attention to Rosetta and approached. He stared at Rosetta for but a moment. He seemed perplexed, confused even.

"Where is Freya?" He asked.

Rosetta looked up at him blood-shot eyes then looked away.

"The daemon is dead."

"No. I can feel Freya's power... Her essence is still anchored within you... She is not here. Where is she?"

Rosetta scowled at him for a moment. A deep hatred sparked within Rosetta's heart. For all he had done, she wanted to kill the man. Yet, her strength had left her. She could barely stand, let alone face him in battle.

She rolled her eyes as she turned away from him. For a time, silence fell as the two paused in thought.

"So what becomes of me now? The daemon is gone. Release me. " Rosetta said suddenly.

"I think not, girl. Naivety is a nice trait to exploit but I am too old to hide behind lies... You are useful to us... Nothing more."

"Honourless bastard. Is your precious daemon all you care about?" She growled.