Part IX

The same bittersweet dream showed itself once more. The same damned dream. That same accursed Emperor's Children Legionnaire. This same dreaded bunker full of her fallen sisters. The sight disgusted and tormented her every time it haunted her.

Now it enraged her. These sisters who laid broken and dead all around her were good women. They were all novices. Fresh out of the Schola Progenium and ready for a lifetime of holy service to the God-Emperor. Now they join the tally of the lost to the most hated of enemies.

The dream carried out its course to its most dreaded point. Aura was so beautiful the morning of that day. The two had just received their armours for the first time and this was what became of it.

The real Aura had been her first light. The closest and most trusted and loving of friends. She guided Rosetta through the years of cold loneliness in the Schola Progenium. Such a saint did not deserve what she suffered. This foul fate made her blood boil with rage.

No punishment will suffice for the perpetrators of such wanton murder and destruction. Her sorrow fuelled her hatred of the archenemy as burned brightly at the sight of Aura's death. The pain, the anger, the sorrow, it all anchored itself as a feral rage within her soul.

Yet, like a bright like the blessed sight of Mirabel saved her from her blight. Standing tall and proud with melta and hope in hand she was benevolence incarnate. Utterly beautiful, utterly perfect.

'Perhaps you could give up your empty life for one with her?"

She shook with fright and awoke in shock. She found herself still in Aura's heart. She found Aura staring at her. She seemed both perplexed and worried. It was intriguing to see her appear in such manner.

She had maintained the serial image of the child Aura for so long Rosetta was convinced that she had taken a liking to it. Nevertheless, Rosetta wondered how the entity managed to talk to her in her dream.

'How-'

'Did I contact you on your dream?'

Rosetta nodded.

'We are bonded... One mind and one body. We share everything... Even our dreams.'

'You have dreams?'

'I'm not sure. I never sleep. Never mind that... Rest now... Recovery will take some time.'

-//-

Once Rosetta's body had been fully repaired and all signs of the battle removed Aura released her soul from the jewel. It was then that she awoke again. She looked around at familiar surroundings.

She had been placed on a bed. One among many which held the sick and the wounded. She looked around and found Sister Superior Alexis there watching her. She had been returned to Wyvern's Citadel.

Alexis regarded her with a mixture of relief and anger. Rosetta bowed her head and Alexis approached her and pick her up by the collar of her robe.

"Why did you do it?" She growled.

"My Lady?" Rosetta answered.

Alexis threw her back onto the bed.

"What were you thinking? You were a Celestian! One honoured among her sisters and you abandoned them!"

Rosetta's heart sank with regret. She showed in her grovelling look/.

"Sister, I-"

"Save it! Now that you are awake Lady Mirabel demands your presence."

Rosetta got up and followed Alexis through the halls of the citadel. Alexis was steaming with rage. The rage that she no doubt had nurtured just for Rosetta. She stared at her former superior for some time as they walked through the halls.