Part VIII

'Yes, yes, do you feel it now, Sister?'

Rosetta shuddered and quaked as untold power flushed through her body. She struggled to think, to breath and remember who she really was while everything burned. Whether she was human or daemon she could no longer tell.

This bonding with another was so wholesome, so intimate that realities blurred the border between myth and fact. Lies intermingled with truths, facts became legends and myths became facts. The sheer contradictory nature of twisted thoughts and memories almost drove her to madness.

'No need to struggle. Give in Sister. Let us become one and know peace everlasting.'

Yet for all the unwavering chaos a single memory weighed her down like an unrelenting anchor in the storm. That memory from five years ago. A symbol of upheaval, of pain, loss, suffering and at the same time rejoice and renewal.

It had been where all this had begun after all. It was the one that filled her mind with the endless unspoken questions that drove her to pick up the first of the cursed jewels. It was what made her hesitate when faced with Aura. It all led to this.

Now, even as she hated it so intently with the deepest and most sustained of furies she clung onto it for dear life. No, she clung onto a name. The same name that had saved her then and so many times thereafter.

'Mirabel.' She uttered.

By fire and birthright her obsessions, her emotions, her thoughts became her's again. Her admiration and adoration for her saviour burned brightly like a mighty astronomical within her very own soul once more.

With it, she weathered the boundless storm. With it, she restored her mind from the raging blur. She fought with every ounce of her strength and pulled the pieces back together. It was now that Aura's presence became refined and settled. She grew silent again.

Then Rosetta returned to reality to find herself lying down on a couch in another room while Mimir watched the window. She barely managed to lift herself up. She found herself bleeding from the nose.

She looked at him and took a breath to speak but he raised his hand, silencing her. His head darted around to an empty corner of the room and he tensed. Rosetta followed his line of sight and fixated on the spot he stared at as well.

-//-

Like a powerful force of nature, a traitor Astartes burst through the wall and brought his bolter to bare upon Mimir. Massive shells of warp-cursed fire detonated upon a psychic barrier. With another one following him in, the pair charged forth, bolter and warrior barking obscenities into the air.

Mimir's eyes glowed the same fiery glow as he reached out with his mind. Grasping the massive bodies of the Astartes he restrained them. They too growled and roared in anger as they struggled against fate.

In an instant Mimir liquefied their organic bodies. With heavy thuds, they fell with most of their weight onto the floor. Silent and lifeless, their armours slumped to the floor as blood and gore leaked from the seams.

Uncaring he rose to his feet as a trio assault marines ploughed through the roof with bolt pistol and blade in hand. They leapt at him with all their might and unimaginable speed. Through a hurricane of flawless strikes, Mimir's barrier held true.

Through the melee, he channelled his energy into his hand and punched one in the chest. Upon contact, the tough flesh, bone armour plating buckled and shattered in a bloody explosion of shrapnel and gore.

More Traitor Legionaries poured into the house. A trio turned their attention to Rosetta. In her panic, she received a massive flush of burning power. Time seemed to slow down to a crawl and Rosetta advanced with all her might.