Part XI

Rosetta sat still while Aura wandered about around her. She looked at the entity and was bewildered. She resembled the Aura of old and yet was as much of a friend. She almost smiled but her melancholy heart weighed her down.

"We are not going back."Rosetta declared.

Indeed. There is nothing left for us in the order.

Aura spun about, enjoying her new found freedom while Rosetta delved into thought. After some time the question came to her.

"What now?" Rosetta asked.

Aura paused. Then she replied bluntly.

We run.

"We can't run forever."

Aura spat in frustration.

I know dammit... She sighed ...If only I was whole again.

Aura faced Rosetta who watched attentively and put her fist upon the centre of her chest.

There is an emptiness... Right here, Rosetta... Until I am whole again it will always eat at me.

"Then we make you whole again."

Aura froze.

How? My fragments are kept hidden from me. They are scattered throughout the land. I've no way of finding them.

"Obvious the servants of chaos possess them. We ought to fight to the heart of every Chaos stronghold and rip it out."

Aura stared at Rosetta as she rose to her feet and approached a window. She looked out and squinted as she beheld the midday sun. Then she frowned.

"The best way to find the enemy is to return to the order and hope they keep hurling us at the enemy."

Then she looked at Aura with a grim smile.

"but we can take it can't we?"

Aura shook her head.

No! You said we were not going back! Why must you run me through this all over again! Have you no mind?

"Do you have a better solution? Wander the wild like a wild beast? Follow the order and risk the wrath of the inquisition? No. This is the best way. Trust me... Sister?"

Perplexed, Aura froze and looked away in frustration.

Ugh, fine. We will endure.

Rosetta lifted up her weapon and rested it on her shoulder and began to walk with Aura following closely behind. Only at the screaming thunder of strange weapons in the distance did Aura disappear and Rosetta picked up her pace.

The noises of battle became impossibly loud, breaking all the windows throughout the castle. Rosetta ran over broken glass. The shards all crumbling underfoot and piercing the exposed flesh. She paid no heed to it.

Suddenly she ground to a halt as a blast of immense sound blew away the door to her front-right. Flying through the doorway was the shattered, lifeless remnants of a Mistress. They splattered across the floor in a mess of churned meat and metal.

Rosetta dashed for the wall and put her back to it. She did so just as a giant stomped out into the hall. Wielding a bulky sonic blaster. It crept forth, silent and confident, ever on the hunt and relishing the coveted chase.

Without hesitation, Rosetta leapt out with an overhead slash, revving up her weapon. The Noise Marine swung his weapon around just in time to shield himself. Rosetta's eviscerator fell upon the weapon with immense force In a storm of shattered metal and sparks mighty teeth tore it in two.