Ch 6--Breaking the Rules

Start from the beginning

    "C-can I p-please s-sit here?" Evan muttered.

    "No."

    "B-but y-you told me to to ask and and--"

    "I said you needed to ask first, I didn't say you could sit there, though."

    Evan gaped at him. Was he really going to be like this?

    "Wh-where can I s-sit then?"

    "Thank you for asking for my permission. That's more like it." Connor pressed pause and looked around his room. The walls were a dark blue, he'd wanted them black but his mother refused. The curtains were black, as were the blankets on his bed. A black sofa sat against one wall and a black bean bag chair was haphazardly thrown on the floor near the window. "Go by the couch."

    Evan sighed and moved Connors homework to the couch, then sat down.

    Connor tsk'd.

    "Evan, buddy." He held up his hands. "Haven't you learned your lesson?"

    Evan gave him a confused look.

    "Did you ask if you could sit on my couch?"

    "B-but you just said!"

    "I said go by the couch, not on it."

    Evan was silent. What else could he do? Today was his first real day of work, he couldn't tell off his boss. Not that he would anyway. He had to listen to him.

    Evan pressed his lips into a line and slowly slid off the couch, sitting on the floor in front of the couch. Connor nodded, satisfied, and returned to watching his show.

    Evan was finally able to look at the pages. Connor was in remedial algebra, which was an alternative for eleventh graders if they weren't ready for trig. He flew threw the worksheet Connor was assigned, then started on some other assignments.

    It was two hours later when he finished.

    "I'm f-finished, C-Connor." Evan said, putting away the last few pages he had out. He out the black folder into the bag and set the bag on the chair of Connor's desk. Connor paused his show and looked at Evan thoughtfully.

    "You can't call me Connor." He said. Evan raised an eyebrow. "I'm your boss, right? You should call me...sir."

    Evan dared to look up at Connor's face. He was quite serious about this matter.

    "Okay. F-fine." Evan hoped that maybe just agreeing with him would make it easier. Maybe Connor would leave him alone if he just listened.

    "Okay, fine, what?"

    Evan closed his eyes and counted to five. This was just ridiculous.

    "Okay, f-fine, sir."

    Connor grinned. He liked the sound of that. It made him feel in power, like he had control.

    "Good."

    Evan stood up to leave, and reached down to grab his bag.

    "Uhm, C-Con-uhm s-sir, I was wondering if I c-could maybe go home? My uhm...my mom is expecting me f-for dinner?"

    "Yeah, sure whatever." Connor said, he was just getting to the fight scene in his movie. "You're learning, Hansen. I like it."

    Evan turned his back on Connor and frowned. This was going to be terrible, just like Zoe said. Maybe he should tell her, or Cynthia what Connor was making him do. They might be able to stop him or at least make it more bearable for Evan.

    He reached for the doorknob and pulled it open, but a hand reached over his shoulder and quickly shut it. Evan turned around and gasped, finding himself face to face with Connor. He didn't look happy.

    "Look, I know what you're thinking of doing."

    "M-me? G-going home?"

    Connor narrowed his eyes.

    "No. You're thinking of telling my sister or my mother about what I'm making you do."

    "N-no! No, no. I, I, I would n-never do that!" Evan protested, hating how high his voice sounded. "I w-wasn't thinking that at all,"

    Connor stared into his eyes for a long moment. Evan had never noticed that his eyes were two different colors. It was very interesting.

    "You'd better not. Because if you did... Let's just say, today would look like sunshine and roses compared to what would await you."

    Evan gulped.

    Connor moved aside and opened the door for Evan.

    "Thanks for coming, I'll see you same time tomorrow, friend." Connor sneered.

    With every step Evan took away from Connor, his heart sunk. This was not going to be good. Not good at all.

***