• Chapter Four •

Start from the beginning

He thought of the Aloysius Pack, his family, and his heart ached at the thought of letting them down. He was an Alpha, chosen for his blood, and his first priority was to protect his pack at all costs. Yet, when he learned of the she-wolf's fate, something told him to lead a rescue mission -be it his conscience or the Moon Goddess herself - and he did.

He took his Beta and Gamma and twelve of his best warriors, leaving his three most trusted members - Lucas, Darren and Harley - to keep the remaining warriors that made up his pack in order during his absence. 

He blindly went out into the world with one mission. 

A mission that made no promise of accomplishment. 

Though, he found himself here.

The she-wolf was safely in their hands, and they were on their way home. They didn't have any enemies to fight, they'd managed no casualties on their end, and the taste of victory was rather sweet on their tongue.

The mission was a success. 

He heaved a sigh, leaning his head against the window. 

He was just anxious to be home.

Something shifted within her, waking a part of her. 

She felt like she was caught somewhere between the world of the living and the world of the dead souls. The fuzzy borderline stubbornly holding her captive in its grasp, much like when she was prisoner in the Blackwood pack. It annoyed her that she couldn't escape the oblivion that seemed to be a constant companion.

A faint presence appeared in her mind.

She could feel movement surrounding her, gently swaying her body, but she couldn't find it in herself to care. She felt so far away from the living part of herself, the part of her soul that was too stubborn to let her go. Her senses were dull, drowning in an ocean of water, and she was barely aware of the voices speaking near her, their words fuzzy. Her sense of smell was empty.

Lost thoughts flitted about, leaving her to question her own existence. 

Was she in limbo?

Suddenly, a slight stinging sensation registered in her mind, and she felt more movement in the back of her mind as something kept nudging her away from the lost space she'd fallen into. She felt an uncomfortable pain blossom through her body.

'Wake up.' A voice abruptly snarled, startling her. 

It took her several moments before the recognition hit. 

It was her wolf. 

She almost thought that she had died and the Moon Goddess was reuniting them, but when she felt her wolf give her another impatient nudge, she was ready to cry in joy and melt into a puddle of relief. 

After months of silence from her other half, and weeks of enduring pain like no other, her wolf was finally awakening to help her survive. She could finally feel the comforting presence of her wolf.

She realized that it was her wolf that wouldn't let them go, it refused to let death sweep them away without at least a small drop of blood in revenge, and now, she could feel the strength she remembered flooding through her weakened body. 

'Sekhet?' She reached out to her wolf, tentatively exploring the bond sparking between them.

'Fight.' Her wolf answered, shoving her closer to the growing light.