But for some reason it's taking too long. I feel like I'm holding back. Something inside me is stopping me from hurting this woman a whole lot worse because I know I could. I want to.

Isla's POV:

"Isla, psst, Isla wake up!" I hear someone whisper urgently and shake me, waking me up.

"Huh?" I mumble and sit up, rubbing my eyes to see the hazy outline of my brother kneeling on my bed in front of me. "Luke?" I ask. "What are you doing?"

"Can you hear that? I think somethings going on in mum and dads room," he says.

I listen closely for a few seconds and sure enough I hear something like someone crying or whimpering. But I've heard it before I know I have. And last time mummy just told me to stay put because it's better if she just deals with it.

"Do you think something's wrong?" Luke urges me worriedly.

"Yeah, I think daddy's having a nightmare," I explain.

"Oh no, should we go check?" He asks.

"I don't think so." I shake my head. "Last time I did mummy told me not to worry because she can sort him out."

"Are you sure? It sounds pretty bad," he presses.

"No Luke I think we should stay put," I state sternly.

"But listen, it doesn't just sound like dad, it sounds like mum too. I can hear her crying and there's thumping noises too."

"But what if it's something we aren't supposed to see? I don't think daddy wanted me to see him upset like he was."

"But what if they need our help? I'm going to have a look."

"No Luke." I try to stop him but he gets up and heads for our bedroom door.

"Isla, are you coming with me or not?" He pauses and asks before carrying on his way.

"Okay Luke wait for me! And we must be quiet."

We tiptoe out to their bedroom and the noise only gets louder. I can hear shuffling and grunting.

Luke looks back at me nervously before opening the door. Standing behind him I can't quite see in But the gasp of horror that he makes is enough to make me barge under his arm and peek in. What I see absolutely terrifies me.

Daddy has mummy pinned up against the wall and appears to be choking her.

"Dad!" Luke screams in fright.

"Mummy!" I cry out in terror.

Both her and dad look our way. She looks like she's in so much pain and dad doesn't look like dad. He looks so angry, furious even. His eyes are dark. It scares me so much that I just run away without a second thought, not even thinking to check about what Luke does.

I don't know how I think to do so but I find myself running for the phone and immediately I dial the number that Mummy taught me to call if I was ever in trouble. I can't stop my hands from shaking as I hold the phone to my ear, begging for it to stop ringing and for someone to pick up.

Peggy's POV:

I wake up to the sound of the phone ringing at the exact same time as Steve. Through the window I can see that it's pitch black outside still and the moon is still high enough in the sky for me to guess that it's about three in the morning. Immediately Steve and I look at each other knowingly and with dread. A phone call at this time can only mean bad news.

At the same time we both leap out of bed and race to the phone. Steve reaches it first and immediately picks it up.

"Hello?" He asks as I watch him intently. "Isla?" He asks shocked. "Isla what's wrong? Stay calm please honey."