Oh god, please don't let him find the kids. I'd rather me than them.

You don't know how to get him to snap out of it. You don't even think of that as a possible ending. You can only focus on the here and now.

His face registers nothing but hatred, anger, determination and a terrifying fury. Not even fear or uncertainty. Bucky appears to be completely gone. There's no hope. Just pupils so dilated that they look like big, black holes as he glares at you so intensely you feel like his terrifying eyes might be enough to break you.

All that talk about I could never bring myself to hurt him goes flying out the window now. You kick at him but he's too solid and stands his ground, you claw at his hand but he's too strong for you to even lift a finger and you're growing weaker by the second, you try to shout and cry out, whether for help or to get him to stop you aren't sure, but your voice has been cut off and that wastes precious breath.

And then something even worse than you could ever imagine happens. You see it happening right in front of your own eyes before you can even react. Even though your vision is blurry you can still just make out what it is. Your bedroom door opens a crack and then in pokes the shadow of one head before another slightly smaller one.

The kids.

What little intake of breath you are still managing to get hitched sharply.

No! No! No! Kids! Stay away! Go! Run! Hide! You want to yell at them and reach for them but you physically can't.

"Dad!" You hear Luke's voice cry out.

"Mummy!" Isla then shrieks at an even higher pitch.

At the sound of their voices you could swear the Winter Soldier frowns, turning to look over his shoulder and you can literally see their little eyes widen in fear. Luckily Isla immediately runs away but much to your dismay, Luke steps into the room and comes running over to the two of you.

Where he suddenly gets this courage from you have no idea. You aren't sure whether he understands the seriousness of the circumstances but regardless he leaps into the soldiers back and wraps his arms around his neck.

You try to shake your head and mouth run to him but he's not listening.

"No! Let her go!" He screams.

Sadly, all the Winter Soldier has to do is whip around with a disgruntled shout and that sends Luke flying across the room and smashing into the wall, rendering him seemingly unconscious as he lies in a heap on the ground.

"Luke." You manage to whimper.

The Winter Soldier turns his attention back to you and proceeds to press down on your throat harder causing a flash of red to blind you for a second.

The Winter Soldier's POV:

Suddenly her gaze leaves mine and she looks to something behind me and just then her eyes widen and change from shock to pure terror. Of course I look where she is to see two little kids looking into the room. Surely they can't be much of a threat so I continue with my current target.

However suddenly I hear someone shout and jump on my back. Instantly I react by growling in frustration and throwing whoever it is off. I can tell from how light they are that it is just one of the children and when he hits the wall it's clear that I've rendered him unconscious. Now that I don't have to worry about him I focus solely back onto my first victim, continuing to slowly cut off her airway bit by bit. I want her to die but I also want her to suffer.

When I look at her face I can tell that she doesn't have long left judging by the colour red she is turning and the veins popping out in her neck. Soon she will be unconscious and then I can just break her neck. Oh how satisfying this is, I feel like I haven't gotten my hands dirty in a long time. My handlers will surely be proud of me.