Chapter 6

(Pic of Sophie on side)

~Next Day~

I stand on the balcony outside my room and sigh. I wrap the cloak I put on around my self to keep myself warm. It is slowly changing to winter, and from what I heard, the winters can get pretty cold here. I exhale deeply and my breath turns into steam and slowly rises in the ar then disappears. I shiver as I turn around and walk back into my room and put the cloak away. I exit into the hallway and bump into Xavier.

"Sorry," I say as I recover from the collision.

"Its fine, Ally," he says with a smile, "I was just heading out for a walk, would you like to join me?" I think about it for a few seconds.

"Sure," I tell him with a small smile as I return to my room and put on warmer cloak. I leave the room and walk with Xavier down the hall. I feel awkward honestly. We hardly talk and the only time we do is either at feasts or balls. We walk down the steps and towards the front door, which two guards open them for us.

"So," Xavier says, "do you have winter in the Western Kingdom?"

"No," I answer, "it's all warm and tropical there,"

"Is it nice?" he asks, "being warm all the time?"

"Yeah," I answer, "though sometimes it's miserable when it gets too hot out," he nods.

"Western Kingdom sounds like a beautiful place," Xavier says.

"It is in a way," I say, "just have to get used to the ocean, which basically surround the kingdom on all sides but one. But Northern Kingdom is much more beautiful than Western Kngdom, to be honest," I see Xavier smile out of the corner of my eye.

"So, who won the race yesterday?" Xaver asks. It take me a while to realize he meant the race between my and Tanya on the horses.

"It was good," I say, "she almost beat me though," 

"Who do you think your brother should marry?" Xavier asks and I tense.

"I-I really don't care," I say, "I mean, he should be wise and choose someone suitable for the kingdom's queen,"

"Sophie says she is interested in being his wife," Xavier says, "she says it would be an honor, but our parents are reluctant to allow her," I listen closely.

"I think, if your parents will let her, she would make a great queen for the Western Kingdom and hopefully keep Zane in chack," Xavier smiles faintly.

"What do you think about Tanya becoming his wife?" Xavier asks.

"I think that would be another excellent choice," I say, "Tanya s my friend and I know she would rule the Western Kingdom well," We continue our walk in silence for a few awkward moments.

"Do you think that whoever Zane doesn't choose will marry Sam?" I ask Xavier curiously. He shrugs and looks at me.

"Maybe," he says, "I would say so, but it all depends on what the princess says and the King and Queen of that kngdom," I nod and look forward.  feel more comfortable around Xavier now. I felt like I could ask or tell him anythng and he wouldn't betray me. I sigh as we walk towards the market.

"I honestly think Zane should choose Sophe, simply because she seems like a good person for the job," I say, "and I am not saying that Tanya isn't up for the job either,"

"Your brother is an interesting guy," Xavier says, "I talked to hm earlier and he doesn't know who to choose either, he like both of them, but doesn't know who to choose,"

"What did you tell him?" I ask curiously.

"I told him that he should spend more time with each of them to decide which one is best," Xavier says, "he seemed really determined to find the right bride," I nod.

"Taht's unlike him," I say, "he s normally an immature and irresponsible man," Xaver laughs.

"So is that why you want him to choose someone who can help him rule the Western Kingdom well and to keep in under control?" he asks with a smile.

I shurg, "I guess so," Xavier smiles agan before a guard approaches us.

"Your highnesses," he bows, "you asre to report to the castle for another feast," the guard bows agan before leaving.

"The feasts are getting a bit annoying," I admit as we turn around and walk back up to the castle, arm in arm.

"Yes they are," Xavier agress, "what do you thinnk this one is about?"

"Politics?" I guess, "war? I don't know," Xavier smiles.

"Well," he says, "let's go find out," I smile as we walk back up to the castle.

~

We enter the dining room, still arm in arm. I see my mother give me a proud smile but my dad doesn't look up from some short of list. Xavier and I sit in our normal seats as we wait for people to arrive. Carol walks in, her blonde hair pulled into a bun, beaming. I wonder what made her so happy. I shrug as everyone suddenly enters and sits down. King Kelvin stands up.

"We are here to discuss the marriages of Zane of the Western Kingdom and Sam of the Eastern Kingdom," Kelvin says loudly, "we have offered our eldest daughter, Sophie, to be one of the heirs' wife, King Garold of the Southern Kingdom has offered up his daughter Tanya to be one of the heirs' wife, and King Lucas has offered up his daughter Carol to be one of the heirs wife. May we no-" Kelvin is inturrupted by King Garold, who has stood up.

"May I say that my son, David, is also an heir, for he is older than Tanya and is in need of a wife," he says. Kelvin nods.

"We have three heirs now who need wives, Zane, Sam, and David," Kelvin says, "so now all we have to do is decide who marries who," and with that, Kelvin sits down and my father stands up.

"Who would like to marry Zane?" my father asks. I scan the room and suddenly, a hand is raised. It is Tanya.

"King Garold, do you allow your daughter to marry my son?" my fatehr asks.

"Yes I do," King Garold replies with glee.

"Than it is settled," my father announces loudly, "Princess Tanya of the Southern Kingdom wll marry Prince Zane of the Western Kingdom," everyone claps including me. I look over at Tanya and catches her eye. i give her a reassuring smile knowing that she will make a great queen. My father sits down and King Garold takes his spot.

"Who would like to marry David?" he asks loudly.I scan the room and see Sophie raise her hand nervously.

"King Kelvn, do you allow your daughter to marry my son?" King Garold asks. I see a weird look in his eye as he says that and I tense up.

"Yes I do," King Kelvin says firmly.

"Then it is settled," King Garold says with happiness, "Princess Sophie of the Northern Kingdom will marry Prince David of the Southern Kngdom," Garold sts down and King John stands.

"King Lucas," John asks, "do you allow your daughter to marry my son?"

"Yes I do," my father says.

"Than it is settled," John says, smiling, "Princess Carol of the Western Kingdom will marry Prince Sam of the Eastern Kingdom," everyone claps at the three new engagements and begin to eat. I remain silent as I eat, wondering what the look I say n Garold's eye meant that I saw earlier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

This is mostly a Ally/Xavier chapter.

Thanks for reading!

~NZ