Chapter 33: Able To Stop

Start from the beginning

"What?", I gaped, feeling like someone had just punched me in the stomach. "Why?"

"I just...things haven't been the same recently and...I found someone else.",
I didn't respond, I couldn't.

"Who...who is he?"

"You don't know him. I, um, I met a couple of months ago at..."

"You're leaving me after four years for a guy you've just met?", I whispered.

"I'm sorry, but I want to be with him.", she turned away from me. "Please don't make this harder for me."

"Harder for you?", I gasped. "You think this is hard for you?!", I walked away from her and to our room.

I didn't understand why she was doing this. I didn't get it. Was I not good enough? Did I not do enough for her? I always tried so hard to be right for her but it obviously never worked.

God, I just wanted her to come in here and tell me this was all some cruel joke.

"Sam?", her voice called.

"What?", I muttered, as she entered our bedroom, looking slightly lost.

"I don't know...", she paused, as if deliberating whether or not she should say what's on her mind. "I don't know if I'm doing the right thing."

"Do you love him?"

"I...um, I guess I do.", I ignored her hesitant tone. "Are you okay?", she questioned, seeming genuinely concerned.

"Why do you care?", I nearly groaned, just wanting her to leave.

"Because, despite this, Sam I do care about you."

"Then why are you leaving me?", I whispered.

"Sam...", she stepped forward, seeming as if she was about to comfort me, reaching out her hand.

But then ahe rethought it and reclined, shoving her hands into her jeans pockets and staring at the ground.

"Just leave. I don't want you here."

"But..."

"Go!", I yelled suddenly, surprising her. "Go to him! What's stopping you?"

"I don't want to leave knowing you're hurt..."

"What did you expect? Me to be ecstatic that you're leaving me after four fucking years? There's no way you could end this relationship without hurting me."

"I...", she trailed off, eyes swivelling around the room. "Okay. I'll go."

"Bye."

Her behaviour was so strange but I didn't have the energy to even think about why she was acting that way. She seemed upset, but I wouldn't know why. I mean, she was about to be with the guy she wants, wasn't she?

#END OF FLASHBACK

"Why are you asking me this?", I frowned.

"No reason.", she smiled.

Damon's P.O.V.

"Grandma, can I ask you a question?", I sat next to her.

"Of course, boy. What is it?"

"How do you know someone is the one?", I asked her.

"Oh, finally!", she laughed. "I thought you never realized."

"You knew?! All this time?", I was in shock.

"Boy, I am not stupid. I knew that your marriage is fake. But not anymore, huh?", I lowered my head.

"She's my best friend, grandma. That hasn't changed."

"It is clear your feelings for her has.", she smiled.

I could see she was happy about that.

She looked at me. "Boy, if her smile takes all your stress away. Believe me, she is the one.", she smiled. "You are in love with her, aren't you?"

"Is it that obvious?", I asked a little embarrassed.

"To everyone but her.", she shrugged.

...

It was 2AM and I was laying in the bed waiting for Bonnie. She was with Sam.

Just when I wanted to call her, I heard the door. In that moment when she entered the room and when I saw her like that. The marriage wasn't fake anymore, at least not for me.

"You're still awake?", she asked, when she saw me awake

"Yeah, I couldn't sleep."

"Why?", she asked.

"I was worried about my queen.", I joked.

"You didn't have to, I was with..."

"...Sam. I know. You told me a thousand times.", I cut her off.

She looked at me weird and then headed to the bathroom, but I stopped her.

"Bonnie, can we talk?", she turned around.

I bet she knew what I wanted to talk about.

"Sure.", she sat on the bed next to me. "What is it?"

"Now you know what I feel about you and...", she immediately cut me off.

"Damon, please..."

"I just have to say something...", she cut me off again.

"Don't do that to me.", she knew what I was gonna say.

"You just need to hear it, Bonnie.", she didn't say anything. "I smile a little more when you're around. And I think that's what made me realize I'm in love with you. That even without trying you made my life better. You are the light finally leading me home."

She was silent for awhile, but then she spoke. "You gotta stop doing that."

"What?"

"Saying those kind of things... ", she paused for a moment. "...that make me wanna kiss you."

"Then why don't you?", I got closed to her.

"Because...", she said as she leaned in. "If i kissed you, I don't think I'd be able to stop."