Twenty-One

The robbers were visible through the bank's windows. There were three of them, all wearing masks and holding guns. One had their weapon pointed at the ceiling—the one who'd been firing.

The sound of an engine came from above them. A chopper descended, the Scorpion logo plastered on its side.

"Get in!" Ash shouted at Hestia and Seth.

Ivy moved to stop them, but Spencer held his arm out in front of her. "Let's just get out of here," he said. "Police are here." He nodded at the vehicles that were coming down the road, sirens blaring.

"Wait," Ivy said. "We could take out the bank robbers. It'd be easy."

"I don't know," Spencer said. "You know how people feel about us."

"That's exactly why we should do it. We'll show everyone that we're heroes!"

"I guess you have a point." He turned his gaze to Claire. "Wanna bring those guys out here?"

Claire nodded and turned to face the bank. She held out her arms and the doors flew open. One of the robbers was yelling.

"Nobody leaves until we—"

He flew into the air and through the open doorway, landing on the sidewalk with a thud. The other two robbers came behind him, grunting in pain as they hit the ground. One of the police cars pulled up along the curb.

The officer who was driving jumped out and pointed her gun at the robbers. "Stay down," she ordered.

"We should go," Spencer said.

"Hold on a moment." The officer's partner climbed out the passenger side of the cruiser and walked over, his gun drawn as well. To Ivy's surprise, he held it up and pointed it at the Supers. "You kids are gonna need to come with us."

"Excuse me," Ivy said. "We just saved the bank!" The sound of footsteps came from behind her. She glanced back to see people coming out of the building. A few nodded at her and smiled.

The police officers glanced at each other. "We have orders," the woman said. "Our superiors said—"

"They saved us!" one of the bank customers shouted.

"They could have killed us just as easily," someone else replied. "Or taken the money for themselves."

Ivy's gaze darted to Claire, Spencer and Ace. Claire's eyes were wide with fear, while Spencer's held determination. His hand rested on Ace's head.

"Let's go, guys," Spencer said.

"Not so fast," the male officer said. He pointed his gun at Claire.

Spencer narrowed his eyes. The officer cried out in surprise as a thin layer of ice spread across his gun. The other officer moved to pull the trigger on hers, but she wasn't fast enough. When their guns fell to the ground, the bank robbers started to climb to their feet.

"Freeze!" More officers were arriving on the scene, their focus on the robbers.

Spencer grabbed Claire's hand and nodded at Ivy. "Let's go. Run!"

They took off down the street. Ivy could hear the thundering footsteps of pursuers, but she didn't look back. They needed to get back to the fuel facility. Ivy was still clutching the jetchopper part Ash had taken in her hand.

They approached an intersection. The road to the right led back up into the forest. They didn't have much farther to go before they were out of town.

A police car pulled up, cutting them off. Ivy stumbled to a stop and glanced back. She was surprised to see that it was mostly citizens, not police, who had been chasing them.