Nine

Ash was the first to emerge from the blackness. Behind him came Hestia, Seth, and Terrence.

But that wasn't all. Twenty soldiers poured into the light.

Claire's heart skipped a beat.

"Wren," Ivy said. "You said it was a small attack."

Wren didn't answer. The crowd of soldiers parted, and Claire's eyes widened. Claudia herself had decided to make an appearance.

"Look what we have here," Claudia called.

"Too bad you didn't learn your lesson the first time, Ivy," Wren said. She walked out into the open area in front of the warehouse. "Claudia!" she shouted. "I brought her, just like I said I would."

"So you did," Claudia said.

"I can come back to Scorpion, right?" Wren asked. "You won't send me to the labs?"

Claire's gaze flickered across the helmets of the soldiers. The Supers were seriously outnumbered.

Claudia sighed. "I'm afraid not, Wren."

"What?" Wren shrieked. "But I—"

"Take her to jetchopper eight," Claudia ordered, glancing at Ash and the other Altered. "When you're done, get what we came here for from the warehouse. Soldiers, attack."

Above them, the clouds opened up, and a heavy rain began to fall.

"Wow," Victoria said. "What a surprise." She threw a sidelong glance at Ivy and Claire. "Nice going, everyone."

"Hey, we knew this was a possibility, at least," Ivy said.

"Did you think twenty soldiers and the leader of Scorpion herself was a possibility?"

Ivy didn't respond. Wren cried out in protest as Seth and Terrence moved forward and grabbed her. Ash and Hestia were right behind them, but they seemed more hesitant.

Claire watched in shock as Wren was dragged into the darkness.

The soldiers moved toward her and the others, undeterred by the water dripping down their red armor. Claire flung out her arm and knocked a few of them off their feet.

The rain was coming down hard. Her wet clothes already clung to her body, and her stringy hair hung around her face.

Claire turned to see how Ivy was holding up, but she was distracted by another swarm of soldiers. She pushed them back and reached out with her senses, feeling the closest soldier's inner mechanisms. With a deep breath, she clenched her fist and pulled the soldier apart.

Her gaze darted to their jetchopper. The soldiers had surrounded them, cutting off their escape. Ivy looked terrified and she was struggling to keep a tiny flame going. Spencer and Victoria struggling to hold their ground.

Claire hurried over to Ivy and with a flick of her wrist, tossed aside the nearest soldier. Exhaustion tugged at her, but she pushed it aside.

"You okay?" she asked Ivy.

Ivy clenched her fists. "I can't fight in this," she hissed. Her hands shook.

I'm fine. I'm not drowning.

Claire grimaced and tried to force Ivy's thoughts out. "You should have had me check Wren's story," she said. "I could have seen that she was lying."

"I know you don't like reading minds."

Claire grimaced. It was true. And she couldn't use her telepathy for long without getting a headache.

"Besides," Ivy said. "Even if it were a trap, we couldn't just let Scorpion rob the warehouse."