Fourteen

The other Supers streamed out the front door. More SCI agents were likely on their way to the lobby, so they needed to get out as quickly as possible. Ivy took a step toward the doors, but someone grabbed her arm.

Ivy sighed. "What, Victoria?"

"Why did you go inside?" Victoria asked. "If you'd waited, you all wouldn't have gotten captured."

"It's my fault," Ivy confessed. "I got impatient." She folded her arms as guilt welled up inside her. "I guess... I guess I was thinking about what Summer would do. And she was a great leader, she was just a little headstrong. I mean, she took the idea of going to Cladis Point and ran with it, remember?"

"Yeah," Victoria said. "You got kidnapped by Scorpion."

"Right. Anyway, I guess I was just so determined to get the chemical." Ivy's hand slid into her jacket pocket. "But I'm sorry."

"I was worried sick about Claire."

"But not the rest of us?"

Victoria rolled her eyes. "Look, I obviously don't want you all getting hurt or whatever, but Claire's my sister."

Ivy opened her mouth to reply, but paused and frowned. The lobby was empty. "We should go," she said. "There are probably more SCI agents coming."

"Right," Victoria muttered.

They walked toward the front doors. Ivy reached out to grab the handle. Her hand was just inches away when a metal wall fell down from the ceiling, hitting the ground with a loud clang and blocking off the exit.

"What the—" Ivy spun around as more metal slid down to cover the lobby windows.

A voice came on over the speakers. "Lockdown initiated."

"You've got to be kidding me," Victoria growled.

Ivy? Victoria? Where are you guys?

Ivy jumped when she heard Claire's voice.

Victoria glanced at her. "You hear her too?" she asked.

Ivy nodded. We're trapped in the lobby. They put the building under lockdown or something.

We're getting in the jetchoppers out front, came Claire's response. There's more agents out here. How are you guys going to get out?

Ivy immediately thought of the chemical. But she wasn't sure how much Dr. Newman needed for the bomb, and they'd already used some to get of the cell.

We'll find a way out.

Ivy was surprised to hear Victoria in her head. She couldn't help but think that connecting all three of them must be giving Claire a headache.

Yeah, Ivy thought. I'm sure there's an exit somewhere. We'll meet you guys outside.

Claire's presence left, and Ivy sighed. "All right, let's go."

The only way out of the lobby was the hallway they came in through. Apparently only the exterior exits had been locked down. Ivy and Victoria were about halfway down the hallway when the sound of footsteps came from behind them.

Ivy turned around and tensed, ready to fight. At the end of the hallway, two SCI agents appeared. One held up a gun and fired a shocker. In the blink of an eye, Ivy flung her arm out in front of Victoria and grimaced as the shocker hit her wrist.

Energy flooded Ivy's body. She moved her arm out in front of her. The agents ran toward them, the one on the left ready to fire again. Electricity jumped from Ivy's fingers, striking the agents and sending them to the ground.