Ten

Ash was eavesdropping again. It felt wrong, like he was betraying Claudia. But he needed to know what she was keeping from him. Taking Wren to the jetchopper had been unnerving, and it was still bothering him nearly a week later. But what concerned Ash even more was that the others were indifferent. No one had so much as spoken Wren's name since she'd been taken away.

Of course, Claudia told them that Wren was overreacting. She would be perfectly safe, the scientists just wanted to run some tests.

Ash didn't believe her.

Claudia was on the phone. "I really am glad, John. I was with you the whole time on the original Phoenix. But it never worked. So many of them died. The last one came pretty close..."

"Wren could be the key to fixing those issues," John said. Claudia must've been working on something if she had him on speaker phone. "Speaking of Wren, how'd you know she would bring Ivy and the others to the warehouse?"

"She called me. She was convinced that she could somehow win back her place at Scorpion if she brought me Ivy." Claudia paused a moment. "Have you spoken to Andrew at all? I haven't heard from him since Black Knight's failure."

"Well, he gave me some information. Something he thought could help us synthesize Alterium without the disastrous effects."

"And?"

"I have some scientists working on it now. We're taking precautions, of course. They're getting pretty close. If we can create Alterium, its unique properties would certainly come in use."

"That's great," Claudia said. "But Andrew didn't say anything about our next move? If we don't attack again soon—"

"He didn't say anything," John cut her off. "He's been busy. I think he's paranoid that the Nightmare Kid is coming after him."

"John, you don't believe the Nightmare Kid is real, do you?" Claudia asked.

"I've heard the rumors. I don't know, and quite frankly I don't care. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go."

"Fine," Claudia said. "Oh, one last thing."

"What?"

"What's Icarus-35?"

"Icarus what?"

"Icarus-35. You mentioned it to Rivera before she left."

"I don't know what you're talking about," John said. "I have to go. Goodbye, Claudia."

There was a click as he hung up. Claudia sighed and fell quiet. Ash slipped away from the office and headed toward the training room.

As he turned a corner, he bumped into Seth and Hestia. "Watch where you're going," he growled to Seth.

"You watch it," Seth said.

"Seth," Hestia warned.

"Oh please," Seth said, glancing at Hestia. "I could take him."

"You want to fight?" Ash asked, his hands clenching into fists.

"Ash, please," Hestia said.

"I don't need you to defend me, Hestia," Seth snapped. "Let me handle this."

Hestia looked at Ash, a silent plea in her gaze. Ignoring her, Ash moved to take a step forward. He stopped when he saw her.

His sister, dead on the floor in front of him. Ash shook his head. He had to be imagining things.

But she looked so real, lying there, her blood spreading across the floor. And behind her stood the scientist that shot her.

Ash frowned. He could remember every detail but the scientist's face. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't picture it. Why did they kill his sister again? It seemed like Claudia had told him, but he couldn't recall what she'd said.