Chapter 2: Clashing

A cool breeze stroked Hanzo's figure, his fingers intertwined around a Japanese warmed teacup. He sat on a cushion with his legs crossed in his modest garden and enjoyed his serene surroundings. Sakura buds were starting to appear; spring was nearing.

The breaths he exhaled were still slightly visible in the form of condense, but he didn't let the chilly weather bother him.

His peaceful state was disturbed, too soon, by a female voice behind him.

"Young Master Hanzo."

The meditating young adolescent sighed and groaned at the same time. More of a growl, really.

"Speak." Hanzo said.

The maid was a bit startled by the tone of his voice. "Y-young Master Genji wishes to speak with you."

"You are not the first one he sent." He replied after a short pause. "Return to him and tell him I do not wish to see him."

"Yes, Young Master." The servant gave him a nod and hurried out of Hanzo's wing, which attendants call it 'The Dragon's Lair' lately.

The older Shimada was aware of such rumors, but he didn't care. His current depressed state couldn't bother with anything.

He was unhindered now from his philosofizing and meditating, but he wasn't able to get back in focus again.

Frustrated with himself, Hanzo set down his empty cup and stood up from his seat. He headed to the training grounds, aware of the slightly intimidated postures of almost every attendant he passed. He felt sorry for his behavior towards them, but his mood couldn't withhold the frowned expression he wore for the past year. He would definitely not behave like this without a good reason.

Sojiro had released him from his duties to train and look after his little brother, so Hanzo could fully focus on perfecting his own fighting skills and studies. And he was ordered to let nothing distract him, which he knew that his father meant that he temporarily couldn't see his brother anymore.

That wasn't even the only case that annoyed him. After all, it's almost been a year since that dog Tsukiyama had visited and basically sold his daughter to the Shimada family. Or did Father sell him to those--

Hanzo blinked heavily twice and pressed his lips into a thin line. He should focus now he reached the training grounds, sighing as he grabbed a bow from the weapon rack.

Before the young man could even shoot his first arrow of the day, he was interrupted. Again.

Hanzo was on the verge to fling his bow somewhere far off, yank his head bald and 'ugh' so loud that whole Hanamura would shake.

But he didn't.

"What is it?" He asked, trying to not sound like he was about to jump on the poor servant and strangle him.

As Hanzo turned around with the most neutral facial expression he could make, which was still a frown unfortunately, there was not just one servant.

"Genji?!" Hanzo uttered. His voice hinted at a mix of surprise and relief, but his expression didn't match.

"A thousand apologies, Young Master Hanzo!" The attendant bowed down deeply.