Chapter 36: Just My Luck / The Mentally Impaired Girlfriend

The next day went too fast for Semaj's liking. Her parents and Simone had returned Sunday night. She was ready for her father to turn back into the conniving and demanding man that he was, now that he wasn't around his mother, but she got just the opposite of that.

Upon her parents and sisters arrival back home she was greeted with smiles; which she expected from Janelle and Simone, but not from James. They even had a gift for her. A customized pink Rolex with her name on the band of it. He presented it with a smile and a, "Happy belated Birthday baby girl, I hope you enjoyed it," instead of the "I knew you were with that boy and I'm going to put an end to it."

Scared of what the Rolex was capable of doing, Semaj quickly tucked it away in her jewelry box and didn't take another look at it.

"Where's the watch?" James asks the minute she walks into the kitchen for breakfast.

"Oh, dad, I don't want to wear to school. We have some people with sticky fingers." Semaj wiggles her fingers at the corny joke, and James laughs making her frown.

"Well your mother went to go and take Simone to school and I'm going to go and head to the office. Are you okay with walking or do you prefer for me to drop you off?"

"I'm fine with walking," She replies going over to the cabinet to retrieve a granola bar.

"Okay, I'll see you later." He makes his way to her, kisses her forehead, and the next thing he is out leaving Semaj stunned and confused. Her father was suddenly happy, kissing her forehead, and buying her things without the third degree and she wasn't sure just to as why all of this was happening, but she wasn't just going to ignore it.

When the door shut Jhene came around the corner placing her bags against the back of the couch before entering the kitchen and scaring Semaj, resulting her jumping and quickly whipping around. Sighing heavily, with a hand over her chest, Semaj smiles at her grandmother while nibbling on the granola bar.

"Good morning to you jumpy," Jhene chuckles and walks to the refrigerator. "How's your morning?"

"Weird," she mumbles biting the bar.

"Why?" Jhene turns around with the orange juice in her hand and grabs a glass out of the tray.

"Dad is acting weird grandma. I know you said maybe he's coming around, but no way. This is too fast of a change. No one changes this fast. Something has to being going on. He's up to something. I can tell. What do I do?" Semaj looks at her grandmother with hopeful eyes, but the only expression Jhene can exchange is sympathy.

"Baby girl I don't know what to tell you," Jhene sighs and sets the things down on the counter. "The only thing I can tell you is to stay strong and get through these next couple of months without your father and you possibly killing each other. I'm sure that you're thinking too much into it. It's okay to be skeptical, but maybe he's trying. Just maybe Janelle finally had enough sense to put her foot down and get him to at least give Michael a try."

Is that even possible? My dad has never listened to my mom, unless its regarding his finances. Other than that, as he would say it, 'I'm the man of the house and I make the rules'. "I don't know grandma," Semaj sighs and shakes her head. "It just doesn't feel right."

"Then all I can tell you sweetheart is to hope and pray that things work in your favor, but I'm sure that James is coming around." She nods her head confidently and Semaj's lips thin as she returns the same gesture.

"Yeah, maybe I am thinking too much into it," she goes over to her grandmothers now opens arm to receive a warm embrace while trying to shove off the bad feeling, but for some reason she felt it gripping onto her insides and not releasing... and she didn't force it.