• Chapter Three •

Start from the beginning

"Ace, Riley, go gather some firewood." Their Alpha averted his attention from the she-wolf and the two warriors instantly obeyed his command, discreetly slipping from the house. Then he turned to Ralf, "You know the land, do a patrol. And take Cassius with you."

The Gamma immediately whined, "But Alpha, the warriors can-" 

A low growl silenced Cassius mid-sentence. The Alpha pinched the bridge of his nose with irritation, "Don't question me."

"Yes, Alpha." The green eyed Gamma bowed his head and followed Ralf out the front door without another word of protest. The door clicked shut, and the room fell to silence.

The warriors shared glances between the she-wolf and their Alpha. They couldn't ignore how tense the Alpha was while he ran a hand through his golden locks repeatedly. 

Asher walked up behind the Alpha and laid a hand on his shoulder, "It's okay, Alpha, we're fine." 

Their eyes met and Asher could clearly see the conflict riddling the Alpha as his eyes slowly glowed with his wolf's golden eyes.

"You need to get yourself under control, go for a run. I'll watch the she-wolf." The Beta gave him a slap on the back, and that was all it took for the Alpha to storm out of the house with anger rolling off him in waves. 

It was quiet a few moments, and the tension slowly faded from the room. The warriors dispersed from their stances, mingling through the house. Their footsteps scuffed against the cold ceramic flooring, followed by a couple doors closing.

Asher heard the rustling of bags and clambering of pots in the kitchen. He felt the presence of others in the room with him as they hesitantly took a seat where they could find it, but the Beta's eyes were fixed on the she-wolf.

He sighed, slowly lowering himself to the edge of the couch by her hind legs. He was at loss of what to do. His Alpha had remained composed through the rescue, but now the troubles of what lie ahead were worrying him. He was the Beta and and best friend of Leon, and he knew that he was responsible for holding things together when the Alpha had to take a breather. 

"Who is she?" 

His eyes flickered to Daniel, "What do you mean?"

"I mean," The warrior motioned to the she-wolf, "We've rescued a she-wolf that we only know of by what rumors tell." The other four warriors who had stayed in the room quietly murmured in agreement.

Asher sighed, "Her name is Reeve April Monsor. She's nineteen, and she's the best tracker in werewolf history. She's been a prisoner and tortured for the past four years." 

Daniel took a breath, "What does Alpha mean that she's feral?" 

"She may have lost her humanity."

A collective gasp swept through the room and the warriors shifted uncomfortably, passing nervous glances to each other. They'd heard of feral wolves and they would gladly fight with a group of rogues rather than one feral wolf.

"How is that even possible?" Daniel breathed, his eyes flickering with unease.

"I have met a feral wolf before," Asher's eyes became distant, "He was the most violent and destructive wolf I'd ever known. There was just nothing in his eyes," He glanced at the she-wolf with a sense of sorrow, "I've been told that feral wolves have been abused or tortured to the point of no return. I'm not sure how they simply lose their humanity, but I'm assuming its an act of defense, and they just close everything out. Its very rare."

There was silence that followed the Beta's words and it felt like a darker presence was hiding within the she-wolf. The curiosity that once existed began to morph into a form of doubt. They hoped she wasn't as true as the rumors said her to be, or else their Alpha's worry was legit.

They almost jumped out of their seats when the front door banged open, and the two warriors from before entered the room with arms full of wood. They knelt by the fireplace and took to kindling a fire for warmth, since the house was barely above the chilling temperature outside. 

The scent of mouth-watering meat drifted from the kitchen, and slowly, it called the warriors spread through-out the house until they were gathered in the kitchen with growling stomachs. They playfully shoved each other, releasing the tension of the current situation.

 A loud chatter soon filled the house, the warriors temporarily allowing themselves to loosen up and joke with one another. They spoke of the roaming mountains that made their home and who could beat each other in a sparring. Laughter accompanied them, and a warm atmosphere was ensued. 

 It made the place seem a little more like home. 

They were crowded in the kitchen, some of them going for seconds, when the front door opened and their Alpha came in. Instantly, the warriors were silent and the Alpha appeared in the doorway with an expression of question.

 "We made vegetable beef soup, if you want a bowl." One of the warriors who had cooked said, hoping to give his Alpha some solace in his time of distress.

The Alpha accepted the bowl extended to him seconds later with a small nod of gratitude. He turned to leave, but briefly paused to look over his shoulder, "Two of you will need to relieve Ralf and Cassius in three hours for patrol." 

The warriors nodded, and the Alpha continued his path towards the living room. He paused in the doorway to find the she-wolf unwrapped from the blankets and an attentive Elijah hoovering over her. 

The Enforcer poked and prodded the gunshot wound, examining the healing injury for a few minutes before he sat back on his heels with a sigh.

"How is she doing?" The Alpha spoke, and two heads whirled to look at him with startled expressions. They relaxed upon seeing their Alpha, and Asher leaned over the coffee table to grab new gauze for Elijah. 

"She's okay, her vitals are better," Elijah stated, carefully wrapping her shoulder, "But her injury is healing at the pace of a human. I can only speculate that her wolf is dormant."

"Dormant?!" The Alpha growled, shaking his head, "No. That's impossible."

Elijah didn't reply.

The Alpha strode over to a chair, grabbed the back of it, and dragged it over to the couch where he straddled it. 

"I'm not an expert, Alpha," Elijah said, "And I can't be for sure until Darren examines her."

The Alpha blew air through his lips, "I'll watch her for a few hours."

The two men nodded, and Elijah secured the she-wolf in the bundle of blankets before he stood and headed towards the kitchen. Asher followed him shortly after and the Alpha remained seated, his gaze burning into the she-wolf as if he could wake her by sheer willpower. His soup was long forgotten on the coffee table behind him.

It wasn't long before the warriors finished their pleasant meal. They spared the living room a glance as they slowly filed by the doorway towards the staircase. They couldn't be sure what was going to happen next. It was a thirteen hour trip back to their home, and a lot could happen in that time, but for now, it was time for some rest.

A long journey was ahead of them.

✙ ✙ ✙ ✙ ✙ ✙ ✙

.... Thoughts?

Leave a comment!

(Not edited)

--  1803 words --