Chapter 10

Syra:

My face still burned, leaving my ears tinged red permanently. My hand hovered over my mouth in embarrassment.

I was finding it hard to believe I was this flustered over seeing a naked woman. I've seen many women naked in my lifetime.

But Aya... I could still see her silhouette perfectly as if it was inked to the back of my eyelids for eternity.

How the morning light reflected off of the top of her breasts and the delicate curve of her throat.

Beautiful.

Exquisite.

Elegant.

Enchanting.

She was everything beautiful thing in the world.

She was the sky at dusk and the midnight sky filled with stars.

My fingertips yearned for the soft feel of silk. My skin against hers, our heartbeats synchronizing.

There were so many ways I could tell her how I feel about her...but none of them would do justice to her.

I am not worthy of her.

I clenched my hand into a fist to distract myself and strode purposely for the throne room.

The morning sun bathed the throne room in a soft yellow light, causing the quartz tiled floor to look more gold than silver.

My uncle and Aya's father stood in front of the large windows, admiring the view of the forest and distant mountains as the spoke softly.

I approached them, letting my boots clank heavily on the ground so they would hear me.

They turned to address me, both wearing fake smiles; although my uncles looked as though he was internally screaming.

I smirked. "Uncle, I suggest ya practice ya fake smile before the Beast Kingdom arrives."

His face instantly paled and he turned to look at his reflection in the window, curving the corners of his mouth into a realistic smile before turning back.

"Better?" He asked, giving me a little twirl. His light brown hair shone in the soft light but his eyes were worried and dull.

My chest tensed, worry filling my bones but I refused to let it show. I'll be strong for you, Uncle.

I chuckled, "Yes, Uncle. Your majesty, have ya seen Aya?" I glanced about the throne room, seeing no sign of my raven haired fae.

King Levindor's smile warmed as he replied, "Her guard reported to me not long ago saying that Aya has gone to her spot in the gardens.

I bowed deeply, "You have my thanks. I simply wish for you to inform her that I have gone into town."

King Levindor nodded his head, signaling that he would grant my request.

I bowed again, once toward the Elven King and once again to the Human King, before taking my leave.

Sighing deeply, I rapped my head roughly with my knuckles. "Get yourself together." I growled.

I need to find Daren.

I straightened myself out and headed out to find Daren, or at least I was going to.

Until I accidentally ran right into someone while turning a corner.

I jumped at the sudden sound of someone running into my armor and hurriedly reached down to help whoever had the unfortunate luck of running into me head on.

I was greeted by large, almond shaped golden eyes, freckled with bits of bright amber.

I sucked in my breath, struck by the beauty of them. "I'm terribly sorry, lass. Let me help ya up."

She reached out her hand to take mine and I pulled her up, smiling slyly.

She frowned at the look on my face, giving me a questioning look.

"I'm sorry. I just couldn't help noticing your ears and tail..." I explained, leaning around her to see the fluffy tail protruding from just above her rear.

She was incredibly short. At least a foot shorter than me if not more.

"Who are you?" She asked defiantly, crossing her arms over her scantily clad breast.

She wore little garments. Bandages were wrapped tightly around her breasts and feet, leaving her leather shorts to be the only actual clothing she wore.

Aside from her little clothing, she was heavily armed. She bore twin daggers on her thighs, a rapier on her hip and tiny needles on her ankles.

I like her already.

Her dark brown hair just barely touched her shoulders but through it I could catch the glimpse of two red stripes that ran from her jaw to just under her cheekbone on both sides of her face.

I bowed before her. "I am Syra of the Human Kingdom." I decided to leave out the fact that I was engaged to the Princess of the Elven Kingdom and that I was the niece of the Human King. She doesn't need to know that right?

She lowered her eyes at me judgingly, her tail swishing from side to side. Finally she raised to her chin, looking at me from under her nose.

"I am Princess Catlia of the Beast Kingdom." She declared. "I demand you lead me to Princess of the Elven Kingdom."

I sighed deeply.

It's not like I'm avoiding her or nothing right now...

I looked back at her, giving her my signature grin, "Allow me to lead the way."