Chapter 3

Aya:

I watched Syra drag her drunk uncle out of our dining hall and I found myself fighting back a smile.

I frowned and brought a hand to my lips.

Why do I want to smile?

I haven't wanted to smile since before my mother died.

I frowned deeper and began retreat into my old shell at the thought of my mother.

I could feel myself slipping away, giving into the darkness and comforting numbness-

"Oi! Aya!"

Syra's voice broke me out of my trance and I turned to face her.

Her head was popping into the room from the doorway, her hair falling toward the ground due to gravity while her head remained up in the air.

"Y-yes?" I inwardly cursed my pathetic stuttering but she seemed to ignore it.

Syra grinned at me with her eyes closed. "I'll be back tomorrow, luv. So don't miss me too much!"

"Your oversized ego is quite a comfort, Syra." I told her sarcastically, causing her to chuckle.

Her head disappeared and I waited for the sound of her metal boots clanking on the floor to disappear before running toward my room.

The book was laying open on the table just as I had left it, but the girl was back on the paper with writing beside her head.

Syra Makosa

I stared at the paper. Completely confused. I lifted the book and was relived when her name stayed on the page.

"I guess I'll take this to the Sorcerer. Maybe he will understand it." I muttered I myself before turning and heading to his chambers.

I knocked lightly on his door and he answered after a couple minutes.

"Ah. Princess Ayalisandre, what is it you wish of me?" He asked when he opened the door and saw me standing there.

"I need you translate this for me." I placed the book in his hands as I allowed myself in.

He sighed loudly and followed me inside to where I had plopped myself down on the armchair.

He began reading the letters rapidly as they began to fade away.

When they were officially gone, he set the book aside and looked at me.

"I think you already know the answer, Princess. The book makes it more than clear." He told me.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. I saw him frown slightly and I knew why.

I was a mess.

I never allows anyone to see me like this; pulling my hair out, sighing, frowning, anything considered unattractive on a beautiful elven princess.

The thing is, that book is very important to me.

Every elf is given a book at birth.

A drop of our blood is spilled on it and the spell is in place.

It tells us people who will alter our lives forever. Normally, it says the relationship status under their name, but this was empty.

Maybe it means we're nothing.

Happy with the idea I came up with, I retrieved my book from the Sorcerer and retreated back to my special place.

I flipped through the pages randomly, hoping something would pop up, but nothing did.

Getting bored, I set the book down and began to let my mind wander.

Syra was what my mind kept returning to.

Her intriguing accent and baffling demeanor.

Everything about her made my head spin and my heart hurt. Which was confusing me.

Why does my heart hurt? And why would my head spin anyway?

I shook my head and jumped as I heard my fathers voice calling for me.

I quickly followed the sound of his voice back to his chambers and ignored the lingering elf who was hiding in the leaves behind me.

"You called for me, father?" I said as I entered his room.

He looked up from his own book as I entered, his long blonde hair spilling over his shoulder. His bright blue eyes were dancing across the pages of his book and his long fingers skimmed the pages.

Although my father was over five thousand years old, he looked as though he was in his late twenties, whereas I looked to be about eighteen or nineteen.

"Yes, I did. Do you know what day is tomorrow?" He asked me.

I nodded.

Tomorrow is the day that the kingdoms were formed.

The royal family of each kingdom will travel to our castle for a feast and to flaunt off their suitors to me and the other princesses of the kingdoms.

I hope Syra will be there...