Chapter 2

Syra:

I grinned happily at Aya. She was a beauty, just like my uncle had said and I had no reason to object nor deny the fact.

Her dark eyes were full of curiosity yet held a cold edge to them, as if she were not allowed to show emotion.

"So, Aya, mind showin' me the gardens? I've heard stories 'bout the famous Elven Gardens." I told her.

"Of course." She replied simply.

I gave her a closed eyed grin and allowed her to lead me to the gardens.

Honestly, the gardens didn't interest me. I could care less about the caterpillars and butterflies that get caught in my hair. It was the mysterious elven princess that caught my interest.

She led me to a small clearing with a single bench and immediately I felt the presence of our elven follower disappear.

She turned to me and tilted her head slightly as she eyed me curiously.

I smirked and wiggled my eyebrows suggestively at her, causing her to shake her head but her eyes twinkled in amusement and there was the hint of a smile on her pale lips.

"You intrigue me, Syra." She stated bluntly yet with a dignified and a hidden seductive tone.

But that last part could've been my imagination. It wouldn't surprise me.

"I can say the same, miss Aya." I smiled at her and she smiled back but it was gone in a second.

A frown momentarily crossed my lips but didn't let it linger there. It would make my mouth taste yucky and crave for pickles. And I hate pickles.

I shivered inwardly before smiling widely and looking around. "Nice place ya got here." I told her.

"Thank you." She responded cooly.

I turned to the elf princess with sad eyes. "I'd like it if you let some emotion into your voice sometimes." I pouted at her.

She gave me a blank look. "What do you mean?" She asked me.

"When you're happy, let it seep through. Speak in high tones, like this!" I spoke in a high pitched silly voice.

"When you're sad, talk in a sulky voice." I sulked and pouted at her.

"When you're mad, yell like this!" I yelled and she stepped back, surprise and fear crossing her features, causing me to freeze.

"Did I do something wrong?" I asked her worriedly.

She shook her head yet she was obviously unsettled and flustered.

"It's just that we tend to not speak in high or loud voices here. We are serene, peaceful, and ancient people, Syra. We like our peace and quiet." She told me truthfully.

"How old are ya?" I asked her, furrowing my eyebrows and looking at her closely with large amber eyes.

"I will be five hundred next week." She told me.

My eyes widened and another creepily perverted smile graced my lips. "I like 'em experienced."

A faint blush spread across her cheeks and she turned around, changing the subject. "This is my favorite part of the gardens. No one is allowed in here."

I raised an eyebrow. "And I am?" I asked her.

She paused. "You're different." She finally replied.

I laughed and she spun around. "You just baffle me, princess. That tis all." I told her, shaking my head in amusement.

She smiled softly and once again, it left within a second. I pouted for a second but let it slide.

I don't want to push 'er too far. She might shut me out completely.

I sighed and rapped my knuckles against my head roughly. Aya gave me a confused look and took my gauntleted hand away from my head.

"Don't hurt yourself." She said, her voice was stern and worried and I found myself smiling softly down at her.

"Ya gettin' a soft spot for me, princess?" I asked her mischievously.

She smiled up at me. "Maybe I am." This time it lingered longer than usual and I was overjoyed about the fact.

"Come on, princess. I must return to my uncle I'm afraid. He has developed the habit of drinking and saying too much in the company of the wrong ears." I told her with a guilty smile and an exasperated tone.

She nodded in understanding and led me out of the gardens and into the large castle we had gone around earlier.

"This castle is bigger than my own, mate." I told her as we approached.

"Mate?" She said questioningly with amusement.

"Sorry." I said embarrassed. "From my days on the sea."

"You were a merchant?" She asked innocently, curiosity burning in her eyes.

"Yeah. A merchant." I lied.

She simply nodded and continued onward, causing me to sigh in relief inwardly but also made me wonder if she truly bought it.

"The dining hall is here." She told me before we turned into a large room with a table stretching across the length of it. 

"Ah! Syra! I was just about to tell the King here how big our army was!" My uncle called to me as we entered.

I face palmed and stalked forward so I could drag him away.