Chapter 6

Syra:

I glanced at Daren as his entire posture stiffened. He glared at the floor, his hands clenched at his sides.

Aya turned back to us with an apologetic look. "I'm sorry but I must go and greet the king."

I nodded in understanding and she quickly followed the Knight to the throne room.

I forced another smile as I turned to Daren. "Well, this will be interesting. A family reunion!" I fist pumped the air but he didn't even look up.

I poked his arm.

"Hey."

No answer.

"Daren."

Still no answer.

I puffed out my cheeks and growled before grabbing him by both shoulders and forcing him to look me in the eyes.

"Daren. We both knew this was gonna happen at some point. I may not be the best at these prep talks, but snap out of it!" I let go of him and turned away.

"Im going to find my uncle and greet the king." I didn't look back at him as I walked out the door. "Do what ya wish."

I met my uncle in the hallway outside of the throne room. He was chewing away at his nails and his faced filled with relief at the sight of me.

"Thanks the gods you're here!" He exclaimed before glomping me.

I grinned. "It's good to see ya too. But why aren't ya in the throne room?"

He glanced at the door behind me. "U-um..."

"Uncle..." I growled.

He jumped and looked back at me. "The Faerie King unnerves me and he brought along his son who will be asking for Princess Ayalisandre's hand in marriage."

I froze up, not exactly sure what to think about the sudden fear that gripped my heart.

Uncle gave me an apologetic look. "I wanted to tell you before you found out on your own. I realize how fond of the princess you had become."

I shook my head roughly and allowed myself a moment to regain my composure before flashing a grin at Uncle.

"Come on." I said. "We can't leave them waiting."

Before he could object I pushed opened the large doors and swept in, my cloak billowing out behind me.

My armor glinted in the sunlight that filtered through the windows that encased the entire side of the throne room, revealing a gorgeous view of the gardens below.

Uncle came in behind me, his head held high, brown hair pushed back underneath his crown.

"King Levindor, it's good to see you." Uncle greeted Aya's father with a wide, generous smile.

He then turned to the Faerie King.

Daren's father, I will admit, is a handsome man.

Tall and lithe, with shoulder length light blue hair, King Farinol stood tall and gazed evenly at Uncle with his deep green eyes.

"King Farinol, it is equally good to see you as well." Uncle said, smiling even wider.

This was all an act.

It is common knowledge that the Faeries loathe the humans. They are still pretty pissed at only being third kingdom instead of the second.

The higher the kingdom rank, the higher the power.

And the Fae aren't too happy that humans rule over them.

King Farinol forced a smile and returned the greeting before turning his attention back to King Levindor.

"King Levindor, it is a pleasure as always to greet you and your daughter, Princess Ayalisandre." Farinol bowed his head to both of them and gestured behind himself as he continued speaking.

"Today, I bring with me my eldest son."

As Farinol spoke, a faerie broke away from his entourage and strode up to stand beside him.

"Ealen Ymir, your majesties." The faerie introduced himself as he bowed.

I grit my teeth together and stiffened at my uncles side, doing my best not to beat the boy to a bloody pulp.

Ealen strode up to Aya and placing a gentle kiss on the back of her flawless hand. "A pleasure to make your acquaintance, princess." He purred.

I grinned the hilt of my sword tightly.

Don't pull it.

Don't ruin it.

Don't blow it.

Aya simply smiled and withdrew her hand before discreetly wiping it on her dress.

I smirked and choked down a chuckle as I released my sword.

"Ealen Ymir."

Everyone froze as Levindor addressed Farinol's heir, no one knowing what to expect.

"I assume you have brought to ask for the hand of my daughter?"

Ealen nodded slowly.

"I'm afraid that will not be possible."

"What?!" It was King Farinol who protested the loudest.

"Princess Ayalisandre is already betrothed." My Uncle spoke up.

I jerked my head toward him, growling lowly, "What?".

Aya also looked genuinely confused, not bothering to hide it under that ridiculous mask of hers.

"I have been in council with King Levindor, and we have decided that Princess Ayalisandre and my heir, Syra, are to be wed to strengthen the ties between the First and Second Kingdoms." Finished Uncle.