An Unlikely Knight.

(The Alex/Sara hookup was disgusting. Like excuse me, that scene had more intimacy than ANY Sanvers scene EVER. What the hell?)

Maggie had the afternoon off, and, in an attempt to cure her boredom, she decided to drop by Kara's apartment. She knew that it was better to be in good company than to sulk alone.

What she did encounter was the last possible sight she could have imagined.

She had made it to Kara's door, and raised her hand to knock, but a muffled cry of agony caused her to stop. Her stomach twisted itself into a knot as bile crawled up her throat, a sickling feeling taking over her entire body. Maggie listened closely, and when she heard another sob, she didn't waste another moment, fishing the emergency keys she owned out of her purse. Plunging the keys into the lock, she marched agitatedly into the apartment. She deposited her purse on the table before hurrying to Kara's room, where the noise appeared to be coming from.

Maggie's blood ran cold at the scene in front of her, and every muscle in her body contracted. Ashton Hughes was on top of Alex, who was the source of the whimpers. Alex's pants were in a heap on the floor, and Ashton was caressing the exposed skin, while Alex writhed desperately. Tears glistened on Alex's face.

The chills pulsing in her veins dramatically shifted to a boil. Without thinking, she unleashed her fury. "Get away from her, you bitch!" She screamed, throwing her fist into Ashton's head. Her knuckles flared with pain upon contact and a jolt rippled up her arm, but the rage coursing through her was enough of a distraction, and she only gritted her teeth in response. The hit felt good, solid at least, and she hoped it was enough to deter Ashton.

Ashton did release a shout, grasping at the sore area on the side of her head. She turned to see the vigilante, and her features crumpled disgustedly at the sight of Maggie, who was poised to strike again. "Get the hell out, Sawyer." Ashton snapped. "She doesn't love you anymore, don't you see? You need to get over yourself, seriously. Have some dignity." She scoffed, then moving to resume her crude activities.

With lightning-quick reflexes, Maggie seized a handful of Ashton's dark hair and yanked her back, away from Alex, who was cowering in fear. "It doesn't matter that she doesn't remember me. That doesn't give you an excuse to take advantage of her." She snarled. "Do you even know what she went through when she was gone? You've unearthed some scarring memories for her, Ashton."

"I don't care." Ashton shrugged. "She's mine now, so I can do whatever I want."

That sentence further enhanced Maggie's livid nature. Without hesitation, she delivered a mighty blow to Ashton's face, following with another to her temple. And just like that, Ashton's eyes rolled back into her head, and she fell to the ground, unconscious.

Maggie could feel her veins throbbing, and her body with alive with anger, muscles tense and ready to retaliate at the slightest opposition. She almost forgot about Alex until she heard the ragged breaths coming from the bed. She instantaneously redirected her attention to the other woman, and her heart cracked upon seeing her.

Alex was curled into a ball, her bare legs tucked up to her chest and her arms holding her together in a defensive position. Her hazel eyes were wide, with terror evident in her gaze. She quaked intensely, the lingering fear making her vibrate, portraying the bundles of anxious energy hidden under her surface. Her chest swelled and collapsed at an alarmingly rapid tempo, and sweat glistened on her skin. Tears continued to drip down her face, mournful additions to the rest of her appearance. She look so vulnerable and broken, trapped in her own world of chaos, unable to find freedom. Her chapped lips moved to form words that she murmured under her breath, almost impossible to detect.

"Rick..." She whispered. "He's here...he's here...he's going to hurt me...he'll take me back...he'll be so mad..." She dug her nails into her legs.

Maggie didn't know what to do. On one hand, she wanted to rush over, scoop Alex up, and sooth her, but on the other, she didn't want to amplify Alex's grief. She longed to be a source of comfort to the redhead, but still she hesitated.