Chapter 1: October 2013 #1 (Kiwi)

Diary Log. October 20th, 2018

Mircea ‘Kiwi’ Orminesan.

Our first task since we got to the NATO lines was to sabotage a Russian fuel depot. The job was quick in, quick out. Mountain Hunters and US Army Special Forces will infiltrate the compound, located roughly twenty kilometers from friendly territory. As per what the lieutenant said, it is supposed to be an easy job. We land on a Hind a few kilos out and link up with the rest of the strike force.

What we will do is simple: Take out Triple A and SAM sites, and then US Navy Hornets will come in to strike. Before it explodes, we’re to make sure the air defenses are crippled. The AAA is supposed to be lightly guarded... so a platoon of men would be selected for this. Four US SF Soldiers will be with us as well, mostly providing sniper support.

It is time for us to shine.

October 20th, 2018.

The night was as cool as it was silent. The trees did not move, the animals were quiet, and the breeze, no matter how little wind there was, remained ever present. The hills rolled up and down, average of the Moldovan landscape that lay between the two rivers that shaped its borders; the western river (Prut) with Romania and the North and Eastern with Ukraine, now fallen to the dreaded clutches of the Russian Federation.

The night was silent, but it didn’t mean there was nothing in those forests.

From the shadows, a figure appeared. A Kalashnikov-model assault rifle was in his hands. Slowly, others followed. Three others. Their faces were blackened with paint, and their eyes were covered by a monocular device. The men moved in deadly silence, through the bushes and leaves of the trees surrounding them. They were dressed with regular attire: Kevlar vest, camouflage BDUs. No helmets were on their heads, however, only beanies.  The four moved in a single line, the leader lifting his weapon as they proceeded down the woods, navigating the map through memory and compass alone, finding their target.

That night they were tasked to find Triple A – Anti-Aircraft Artillery. It won’t be a problem for them. They were trained to do this. In a while, the Hunters, as they were called, would find them. They would hunt them, destroy them, and devour those who defended them.

At the head was Private Mircea ‘Kiwi’ Ormenisan, the newer guy in the team. He, however, was certified as a veteran tracker. He held his suppressed Kalashnikov high and tight, scanning the woods ahead with his red dot sight.

“How far are we from the target, Kiwi?” whispered Corporal First Class Boar ‘Andi’ Andrei, his section leader and Kiwi’s bestfriend. He was equipped similarly with Kiwi, only, he brought slightly heavier weaponry – his Kalashnikov was equipped with an underbarrel grenade launcher. It didn’t fit the scene at all, as the entire strike force had equipped their weapons with suppressors.

“Not so far. Not much further now.” He said as he walked, but suddenly, something snapped him and he raised his arm. The rest were stopped in their tracks. Kiwi went onto his knees, and the rest followed. Corporal Andrei, who was right behind him, whispered. “What’s going on?”

Kiwi did not say a word. He only pointed his free hand, all five fingers straight, towards the bush ahead. Andi crawled a bit forward to get clarification from him. “Russian Triple A.” Kiwi whispered. Andi nodded. He looked back, and signaled to another fireteam member, Bucur ‘Alex’ Alexandru. Usually the squad-level light machinegunner, Corporal Alexandru was equipped like the rest for this mission. Andi signaled for him and the fourth member of the team, a female medic, to go around the brush to the right flank of the AAA. Alex nodded and with the black-faced female medic, he went to the right flank of the designated AAA, keeping low and close to the ground as possible while staying on his feet.