Chapter 29

Even though I had a sprained ankle and stitches, and a concussion, I couldn't feel any of it. So, the next day, the physical therapist, who I would now be working with, came in and saw me. He told me that I had to start looking for physical attributes of injury. He put on a powerpoint and showed me slide after slide of gross injuries. Bruises, cuts, broken bones, and so much worse all over the body.

The only consolation was that I got to spend last night in Ethan's comforting embrace as we slept. Today, however, Doctor Martin asked him to leave and go take a shower. Apparently, he hadn't left the hospital once in my entire stay and as much as I wanted him here, he was starting to stink.

"So, any questions?"

I looked up at the physical therapist.

"If I can't feel pain then do I have to use crutches?" I asked. "I mean the only reason you stay off it is because it hurts, right?"

The man looked between me and the crutches I was glaring at.

"I highly recommend you stay off the foot, even if you can't feel it. It's extremely important that we not only help you recognize injuries, but also learn how to prevent further damage to them."

I sighed. "So crutches?"

He nodded. I must have looked discouraged.

"It's manageable, Leah, you'll survive this," he said. "Aren't you glad it got diagnosed? At least now you know the problem and we know how to deal with it."

"I guess," I mumbled.

The man then left and I was all alone with my thoughts. Which was not a good thing. I kept thinking about my disillusioned dream from when I was unconscious.

I knew what the real problem was.

Diagnosis: Refusal to forgive birth parents.

Symptoms: self-destructive behavior, suicidal ideation, feelings of never being good enough.

Treatment: forgive and move on.

It was so simple. The answer was right in front of me, but I couldn't get myself to do it. How frustrating.

Doctor Martin came in around three. He cleared me to leave after a final exam and left me with some words of encouragement. I managed a small smile and then quickly change into the clothes Monica had brought for me. Once I was ready, I waited on the bed.

Ethan came in first.

"Ready?" he asked, coming over to me at once.

"Definitely," I said back.

Monica and Jess came in next with a nurse, and a wheelchair.

"I don't need a wheelchair," I insisted at once. "The crutches are punishment enough."

"Hospital policy, sweetheart."

I sighed and grudgingly sat down on the wheelchair. The nurse then wheeled me out to the lobby. Immediately, I was met by a stampede of children. The woman at the reception desk looked as if she was going to have a heart attack, she quickly ran over and ushered all of us out of the lobby and into the parking lot.

"OMG Leah!" Molly squealed. "We were so worried, you scared us,"

"I thought you were going to die," Casey said hitting my arm, which Jess got mad at her for.

It didn't matter, it wasn't like I could feel any pain from her hit.

"I'm glad you didn't die," Nina said smiling at me.

I looked over for Ethan who immediately came and helped me out of the wheelchair and into his car. Mon and Jess looked apprehensive about it, but I didn't give them a chance to change their minds.