Chapter 26

Spoiler Alert: It didn't.

It was Newton's third law. I had Ethan to thank for knowing that little fun fact. For every action, there was an equal and opposite reaction.

These past few days I was riding on pure serotonin. I was so high on all the happiness I was feeling that I never wanted to come down. However, Newton's third law was bound to pop my perfect little bubble and drop me back into reality any day now and today was that day.

I woke up for school on Monday to someone banging on my door. I groaned and got out of bed. I had fallen asleep on the bottom bunk on top of my Psychology book. I went and answered the door.

"Come on quick, we're leaving in fifteen minutes, you have to put my makeup on," Casey said rushing into my room.

I yawned and took out the bag from my closet and quickly put on her makeup for her.

"Thanks Leah!" she said excitedly.

I nodded and quickly got ready. I threw on the first clean t-shirt I found and changed into jeans. I put my converse on and quickly finished getting ready before shoving all my books in my bag and running downstairs. I grabbed the bagel Monica was holding out for me, which was becoming a usual thing, and bolted to the car where everyone was waiting.

"You're late Leah," Matt said as soon as I got in.

"Sorry," I mumbled as I started the car.

Since I now actually had a huge workload, it was taking me a little longer to finish all of my homework and my sleep schedule had taken a heavy toll.

"We have the field trip today, come on," Jack said impatiently.

"Okay, okay," I said I sped up a bit.

"Why did Casey run into your room this morning?" Liam asked.

"Nothing, just girl stuff," I said.

"You also took her somewhere yesterday," Liam pointed out.

"Fine. I bought her some makeup and put it on her this morning," I said with a shrug.

"Well if you're in the giving spirit, I found some sneakers I want," Matt said.

"In your dreams." I replied.

"Come on, that's not fair," he whined. "How come you bought her stuff but not us," he said.

"If you want makeup, then yeah, I'll buy it for you," I answered. "Besides I specifically remember you asking me to buy the latest NBA 2K game not too long ago, a request I did come through on."

That shut him up.

When we got to school, I looked at the temperature on the dashboard and saw that it was in the low fifties. I realized in my rush to get to school, I forgot a jacket. I sighed, Jess was always getting mad at me for forgetting a jacket on cold days.

I got inside and went to class. Ethan came over and sat next to me. I smiled half-heartedly and he had a funny look on his face."What?" I asked.

"Nothing, it's just comforting to see you as stressed as the rest of us," he said kissing the side of my head.

I rolled my eyes.

Class started and as my notebooks filled with useless information that would somehow define my future, now I remembered why I had only wanted to take two classes, it was draining. I wasn't just tired, I was mentally exhausted and I had barely been in these classes for two weeks.

When lunch came, it occurred to me that Ethan might want me to sit at his table in the cafeteria. Now normally I would make up something and have some reason to sit with the foster kids, but today the middle school kids were on a field trip and I had no choice. It wasn't even that I didn't want to sit with him, I liked Ethan of course, and a few of his friends.