Jem seemed to sense this and placed a hand on his shoulder. "You've done enough for tonight, Will," he said gently. "We can start looking for clues on this bronze wolf masked person tomorrow. But don't try and push your memories. They'll come when you're ready." Jem stood and held open the Institute door for Will.

"Come on," he said with a kind smile. "I'll rebandage your wrists before you go to bed. You need your rest." Will hesitated but followed him back inside the Institute, hoping that they would find something tomorrow.

-*-*-*-*- Jem -*-*-*-*-

"Jem? What are you doing still awake?" It was Tessa, walking into the library. Jem looked up from the book he was reading tiredly.

"I was just doing some light reading," he replied. Tessa stood behind him, her hands on his shoulders and peering over at the book on the table.

"'The Weapons of Demons,'" she read out. "This is light reading? What are you doing reading a book like this at this time of night?"

"I'm trying to figure out what was used on Will's wrists," Jem said, running a hand through his hair. "We can't seem to heal them with runes, so I think something demonic was used on them. Perhaps a poison. Anyhow, they are bothering him, so I just wanted to find a way to lessen the pain...to make things easier."

"Perhaps you should stop for tonight," Tessa suggested. "It's been a tiring day." Jem sighed and closed the book.

"Maybe you're right," he said. He stood to his feet and took Tessa's elbow. "But we could have a midnight stroll first, couldn't we?" Tessa smiled and together they left the library, just walking the length the of the corridors in the Institute.

"Was Will all right when you left him?" Tessa asked. "He didn't look very well at dinner." Jem closed his eyes and sighed.

"I think what Cecily said shook him slightly," he said. "He can't remember anything clearly, but he remembers feelings, emotions. I think he was reminded of some of those emtions by what Cecily said, but he couldn't think of the reasons why."

"Well, it is good that he is remembering, isn't it?" Tessa said. "At least you have something to work on." She hesitated. "Jem, you are much closer to Will than any of us are. I do not want you to feel as if you have to work everything out on your own. We are all here for you as well as him." Jem smiled sadly.

"I know." They reached Tessa's door and he kissed her cheek. "Try to get some sleep," he said softly, hugging her and stroking her hair.

"I'll try," she whispered. "But Jem...I'm scared. I'm scared that we're going to lose him." Jem raised her chin, kissing her lips gently.

"We won't lose him," he murmured. "I will do everything I can to make sure of that. I promise." She nodded and looked down. He kissed the top of her head and bid her goodnight.

Once he was sure she was gone, Jem turned and headed back down the corridor. He reached the foot of the stairs and climbed to Will's room, opening the door slowly.

Will was fast asleep inside, curled up into a tight ball. He was muttering and murmuring things that Jem couldn't understand, but nonetheless he sank down into the armchair by the bed.

For the rest of the night, Jem watched over his brother, fearing that if he went to sleep, he would lose Will forever.

-*-*-*-*- Will -*-*-*-*-