Chapter Five

Misty:

For a long time, Misty thought about what Caitlyn said about not letting J.D. get away. She thought about her mother too. Angela would be thrilled if she started dating again, especially when she got a look at J.D. because Caitlyn was right about something else too. He was sexy, the kind of sexy that made women on the street stop and stare, the kind of sexy that had her obsessing over him. And she knew he was as interested in her as she was in him. Why else would he chase her to the car and kiss her? It had been impulsive and romantic, and she liked it. She liked him too, and she knew she wanted to see him again. In fact, maybe she’d just go see him right now. She didn’t know if he was working or not, but she’d made up her mind. If he was there, it was fate and she’d definitely go out with him. If he was off tonight, she was going to forget this whole thing and put him out of her mind.

Because it was Saturday night, the restaurant was humming with activity by the time she arrived. While she waited for her turn to speak to the hostess, Misty darted her eyes about the restaurant, hoping to spot J.D. When her search came up empty, she was more than disappointed. Her heart was crushed. This had to be a sign that they weren’t meant to be. Knowing better than to ignore fate, Misty turned to leave. She’d just reached the door when she heard his voice behind her.

“Misty?”

Her heart hammered in her chest as she spun to face him. Though he wore his standard ensemble of jeans and a T-shirt, Misty was struck by his raw masculinity. “We’ve got to stop meeting like this,” she said with a coy smile.

“You’re right,” he agreed with a sly grin.

“So, I was thinking maybe you could take me to dinner tomorrow night,” Misty said before she could lose her nerve.

“That’s supposed to be my line,” he laughed.

“This is the new millennium. Women can do all kinds of things now.”

J.D. looked thoroughly amused. “You’re not a feminist are you?”

“No. Are you a chauvinist?”

“No. So, how about letting me take you out to dinner tomorrow?”

“That sounds like a great idea and very original. Anyway, I don’t mean to keep you from work.”

“You’re not keeping me from anything that’s more important than you.”

He’d dropped the timbre of his voice as he spoke, and his eyes were fixed on her in that same penetrating manner that first attracted her to him.

“I’m not sure what I’m supposed to say to that,” Misty admitted.

“You don’t need to say anything,” J.D. said. “The only thing you need to do is give me your address so I can pick you up for dinner tomorrow, unless you’d rather drive.”

Misty gave him a small smile. “You can drive.”

Once she obliged his request, she was on her way. She didn’t even stay for a cup of coffee. On her way home, Misty was feeling on top of the world. Maybe now that she’d started dating again her mother would finally realize she hadn’t given up on the idea of true love; she’d just been waiting for the right man. If her instincts were right, this was the man.

Misty decided the night of her first date with J.D. was definitely not the time to be understated in her appearance. It was the time to look her best. In order to do that she chose a filmy summer dress in just the right shade of violet to bring out her eyes. She pinned the front of her long hair, leaving the rest to cascade down her back. After topping the look off with a pair of low heeled sandals, she applied a subtle amount of make up before feeling satisfied with her efforts.