Chapter Two

Jason:

On the first day of fourth grade, Jason was already waiting for Misty at the end of the sidewalk by the time she finally opened her door.

“Now, Jase, you don’t have to be nervous.”

“I’m not nervous.”

It wasn’t a total lie. He wasn’t just nervous, he was scared. The other kids were going to make fun of his accent, or if not that then his clothes or his backpack or something; he just knew it. If Misty recognized his lie, she didn’t let on. She just gave him a reassuring smile as they fell in step beside one another.

When they got to school, Jason suddenly wished he could be somewhere else. There were so many kids there, and he didn’t know any of them. What if they all hated him and the only friend he ever had was a girl who didn’t like to get dirty?  

“There’s the gang,” Misty said as she waved to a group of kids.

As they approached the group, she gave him a quick rundown on who they were. Caitlyn Ross was the skinny blonde and the chubby girl with the brown hair was Mimi Reed. The really tall red headed boy was John Carver. Blake Edwards was the blond in the perfectly pressed jeans and T-shirt, and David Green was the short one with the dark hair and matching eyes.

“Hi guys,” Misty called as she and Jason joined them. “This is my new friend, Jason.”

Everyone greeted Jason, but he only nodded in return. Until he got to know them better, he planned on doing as little talking as possible. It was safer that way. If they couldn’t hear his accent, they couldn’t make fun of it.   

“How’d you meet him?” Caitlyn asked, though she had her eyes on Jason.

“We’re neighbors,” Misty answered.

“What class are you in, Jason?” John asked.

“I got Miss Norman,” Jason said.

“You talk funny,” Caitlyn announced.      

 There it was; exactly what he’d spent all summer fearing. His anger and embarrassment colored his face.

“No he doesn’t,” Misty said. “Jase is from Boston. I like the way he talks. I think it sounds cool.”

At that moment, something began to happen that made Jason understand just what kind of power Misty Freeman had. As he looked around the group, he saw the other kids nodding their agreement to what she said. One of them even said he wished he had an accent. It was then that Jason understood what Misty had done for him in becoming his friend.

All summer he’d suspected she was popular from the way she dressed and the way she acted, and now he knew for sure. With her single observation of his accent, she’d made it cool that he sounded different than everyone else. And in being his friend, she had probably ensured him a permanent place among the popular kids. More than that, she’d also kept the promise she’d made earlier in the summer that no one would make fun of him. As a slow grin spread across his face, Misty flashed him a quick wink. A rush of affection flooded him, and Jason renewed his silent vow to always be her friend.