Chapter 18

Lily Clairmount:

I trudged my way back towards the walkways leading home covered in Magical Beast as well as my own blood. Some people walking the road gave me curious glances but otherwise didn't seem perturbed. This was simply because it was a common occurrence for people 4 Stars and above to go deeper within the forest to train. 

Before going home though I needed to stop by Mr. Gundra's Shop. He bought and sold Magical Beast cores. Cores could be used for numerous things. 

Some people used Magical Beast cores as a power boost for their Rune Magic or even to build weapons. Soul Weapons needed a 9 Star Magical Core though and so were usually scarce in number. Which is a reason why I was shocked Damon had allowed Nathaniel to form a contract with a Soul Weapon. 

Mr. Gundra was sitting in a chair behind his counter when I walked in. 

"To what do I owe the pleasure, Ms. Clairmount?"

He wore a smile on his face in welcome. Purple Grey hair was clipped short to his head which accentuated his rugged features. Even though we could live long that depended on how much magic you had. Mr. Gundra was barely a 3 Star Magic User. No one dared to steal from him though because the entire shop was locked down with traps in case of emergencies. 

"Good evening, Mr. Gundra. I've just returned from the Forest. Fourteen Magical Cores of 6 Stars or higher."

I retrieved the Cores and stacked them on top of the counter. Magic glowed from within the Cores, splashing color across the walls and our faces. 

He whistled softly, "You've worked yourself ragged this time."

"It was really nothing. Do you think I could trade these for some with the element for Dark and Shadow?"

An eyebrow raised at my question. 

"Yes but those two types are rather unique and rare. If I were to trade these for those it'll be less than you've given. From my calculations and observations, you'd get half of what you gave."

"That's fine."

It wasn't for me but for Nathaniel. Magical Cores were chaotic magic but if tempered a certain way it would be really beneficial. From what I saw of the child, he'd really like to train his Magic like I do. 

Mr. Gundra gave me a nod of his head before accepting the Cores and then handing over the ones I'd asked for. 

"Five Dark and two Shadow. Shadow is the most difficult to acquire. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help in that regard."

"No, this is fine. Thank you so much."

I left with the collected items and headed towards home. 

Styles opened the door for me as soon as I was close enough to the door to open it myself.

"Ms. Lily, I'll have Celia prepare a bath for you."

"Thanks, Styles. Is Helena still up?"

Celia walked out of the adjourning room and answered my question, "No, Miss. She went to bed early because she tired herself out playing today. I made sure she ate before falling asleep though."

"Thanks, Celia. You know how I worry." I smiled at her in appreciation for her thoughtfulness. Helena would've forgotten to eat and end up waking in the middle of the night if she hadn't. 

"This is merely my duty, Miss."

I merely gave her a nod in acknowledgement before beginning to walk upstairs towards my room. On my way there, I passed Nathaniel and Helena's rooms. Nathaniel's door was slightly ajar so I paused to lean in.

Damon was sitting on the bed next to Nathaniel's upright position. 

"Have you fully taken control?"

Damon's voice drifted out the door, not bothering to cover it up. I figured it mustn't be that much of a secret conversation since that was the case. 

"No but we have agreed to tolerate one another," was the small response of the child. 

I pushed my way into the room and both guys looked over. My mouth unconsciously tilted into a smile because of how similar their reactions were. 

"How are you feeling," I asked the boy.

"I'm doing better, Lily. There's no need to worry."

My feet carried me towards the bed where they were both sitting. 

"It's my job to worry," my hand sifted through his knotted hair. I gave a slight 'tsk' noise at how dirty he was. 

"Would you like a proper bath? I'll also have someone prepare you a meal. You look like you haven't eaten much."

With that last sentence I sent Damon a glare. He didn't look repentant though and merely smirked back at me with mirth filling his eyes. 

"That would be nice."

Nathaniel seemed too mature for his age and it really bothered me that I couldn't give him back a childhood removed of pain and suffering. 

"Oh, I brought these back for you," I commented as I dropped the Cores next to him. 

"For me?"

"These match your Elements correct? I just came back from the Forest if you couldn't tell."

Damon's eyes seemed to finally realize I was covered in blood and looked exhausted. Same with Nathaniel. It was disturbing that they hadn't noticed the blood on me. 

Damon frowned before talking, "You were injured. I told you to call if you needed help."

"I'm already healed of the injuries, Damon. Celia is preparing a bath for me. I just wanted to make sure Nathaniel was alright before retiring for the evening."

"You didn't need to bring back the Cores, Lils."

"But I wanted to," I nervously looked between the two and dropped my eyes to the cores, "If it's not needed I can go return them."

"No, it's fine, Lily. Thank you for thinking about me," Nathaniel reassured me and patted my  hand with his tiny one. 

"If that's so then I'll take my leave. It seems I had interrupted your conversation. Make sure to get plenty of rest, Nathaniel. Damon don't keep him up for to long."

I gave my goodbye's as I headed towards the large tub filled with hot water to relax my tired muscles. 

A/N: More filler chapters. I hope these small things don't bother you readers. I feel this book is going to be really slow.