Fire Emblem Greek/Roman Facts

FireEmblemFan2, sorry it's so late!!
While thinking up or facts, I changed your request a bit to focus more on FE's Greek/Roman origins. I hope you're alright with this!

—————

✕ Regions/countries ✕

Ostia: The region of Ostia may have had its name derived from the first
Roman colony, Ostia, located at the mouth of the Tiber River. "Os" in Latin means "mouth/opening".

Thracia: Thracia/Thrace was a Roman province, north of Thessaly, and bordered by Macedonia to the south. A Thracian can also refer to a type of gladiator.

Macedon/Macedonia: Macedonia in the Japanese version, this Archanean nation might refer to the Roman province of Macedonia, mentioned above. It can also be noted that the emblem of Macedonia depicts a sun:

 It can also be noted that the emblem of Macedonia depicts a sun:

A bit similar to present day's Macedon's flag with the sun:

Just food for thought.

✕ Character names ✕

Libra: One of the more obvious ones, Libra's name is a reference to the Scales constellation. (Time to tip the scales? Oho.)

Hector: Hector was the name of the Trojan prince and greatest warrior of Troy during the Trojan War. However, Hector was later slain by Achilles, his Greek counter-part; an act of revenge for killing his best friend/cousin, Patroclus. His dead body was later chained onto Achilles' chariot, and was driven through the streets of the city to show the people what has become of the high prince. Later, he reappeared to Aeneas as a ghost in a dream, warning him that Troy was burning and he must flee.

Priam/Paris: Paris, or more commonly known as Priam in North America, is Ike's supposed descendent who appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening. One thing you may not have known was that "Paris" was the name that Ike was originally going to have, but the idea was discarded.

Paris was the young (and handsome) second prince of Troy, his elder brother being Hector, and played a key role in the start of the Trojan War. It all began when the goddess Aphrodite promised to let him have the most beautiful woman in the world, Helen, in exchange for a golden apple. However, Helen was already engaged to Menelaus, a king of Sparta. On their wedding day, Paris came to Helen and seduced her, carrying her off to Troy. Menelaus, infuriated that his beautiful bride had been stolen away, came to his brother, Agamemnon, king of Mycenae. The two raised a fleet of a thousand ships and sailed to Troy, asking for them to return Helen; when Troy refused, the war begun. Some several battles later, Paris successfully kills Achilles through Apollo's guidance, but is subsequently killed after Philoctetes mortally wounds him.

Priam is the king of Troy, father of Hector and Paris, as well as at least 50 more. When Hector died, Priam realized that all hope was lost and Troy would fall; he begged Achilles to return Hector's body and to allow 12 days (I think) for a cease-fire. Achilles, now regretful of his actions, respected his wishes and called off the war for 12 days. When Troy fell, Achilles' son, Neoptolemus, killed the old king on an altar.

(A sad tale!)

Minerva: Minerva, princess of Macedon, and Minerva, Cherche's wyvern, both have their names derived from a lesser Roman goddess of arts and crafts. She is the daughter of Jupiter, the king of the gods, and Metis, the goddess of prudence.

Athena: Unlike her Roman counterpart, Athena was a major goddess of war, wisdom, and weaving. She is the patron goddess of Athens, and Zeus' favorite daughter.

Mars/Marth: Marth's name was based off the Roman god of war, Mars. While bloodthirsty, the Romans viewed him as an also thoughtful god. He is their patron god and the father of Romulus and Remus; Romulus was said to have founded Rome. Mars is the son of Jupiter and Juno, the queen of the gods.

Ares: Ares was Mars' Greek counterpart, and unlike him, he was viewed by the Greeks to have been cowardly, "overwhelming, insatiable in battle, destructive, and man-slaughtering". Ares had a love affair with the goddess of love and beauty, Aphrodite, despite her being married already; some myths say that he is the father of Eros/Cupid.

✕ Others ✕

Stone golems:

The massive stone golems that appear in Fire Emblem: Fates were based off this structure in Rome:

This disc is called the Mouth of Truth, and tourists would often stick their hand in its mouth (I did!)

This disc is called the Mouth of Truth, and tourists would often stick their hand in its mouth (I did!). The mask is supposed to resemble Oceanus, the ruler of the sea before his role was taken by Poseidon/Neptune.

✕ Skills ✕

Astra: is plural for "star" in Latin. A famous phrase in Latin is sic itur ad astra by Virgil: thus one goes to the stars.

Aegis: The Aegis was Zeus' and later, Athena's breastplate.

Luna: Luna means "moon" or "month" in Latin; hence, the appearance of the moon on the skill art.

—————

There's a lot more that I haven't gotten to, but I'm ending it here.