21 | what are we?

tap-

"go away," jinyoung mumbled, eyes bloodshot and cheeks tear streaked.

tap-tap-

jinyoung curled up under the covers, smothered by the darkness and the cold, overheating on a freezing november night.

tap-tap-tap-

jinyoung kicked off the covers, beads of sweat melting back into his forehead. he shuffled over to the source of the tapping - the window.

"rain is not this fucking loud- oh my god, what the hell-"

outside the window, down on the grass, stood a shivering jaebum, bundled up in a thick sweater and jacket. he threw another piece of gravel up and it hit the window with a tap-

"fuck off," jinyoung mouthed at him, stomping back to bed and flopping down lifelessly on the mattress.

jaebum sighed, and began his ascent up the drainpipe to jinyoung's bedroom window. when he got to the top, he moved a plant pot across the wide windowsill, and sat down, giving the window another tap with his finger.

jinyoung was unresponsive.

jaebum got out his phone. what the hell was he even doing outside park jinyoung's window on a november night, waiting for him to open up?

im jaebum:
ok open window pls
seen

im jaebum:
dude its cold outside
seen

im jaebum:
jinyoung come onnn
seen

im jaebum:
at least tell me why you've
been off school all week
seen

me:
you wouldn't understand

im jaebum:
try me

me:
hang on are u actually
rlly cold bc it looks freezing

im jaebum:
hell yea im cold lemme in

me:
fine but ur leaving soon

im jaebum:
i just wanna make
sure you're okay

im jaebum:
since no one else
seems to be at all

me:
come inside then bitch

jaebum shuffled over and met jinyoung's eyes through the window pane. but the bright-eyed, witty jinyoung he expected wasn't what he saw. jinyoung just looked... sad.

"let me in, you fucker," jaebum muttered, and climbed into jinyoung's bedroom.

jinyoung stood there for a moment, staring, watching jaebum rub his hands together for warmth, before quickly remembering to close the window, shutting the cold air out. jinyoung sighed, torn.

"miss kim says my writing got worse this week," jaebum tried, going for a cheerful tone.

jinyoung couldn't answer him.

"hey," said jaebum, his expression serious. he took a step towards jinyoung, slowly and carefully, cautious not to break what was already broken.