A Challenge

We’re joking around and eating  junk and stashing our bags with some food for the day at the beach. We get there quite soon and the sun’s shining bright and high in the sky. Ira and I get out and breathe in the fresh, sea, breezy air. A sense of relaxation and calmness comes over me. The beach is big and wide, the sky’s a lovely blue, the sand’s warm and tickly, the breeze is blowing my breath away. The perfect setting for a beach outing. I hold Ira’s hand and run to the lapping waves and  accidentally trip and pull her with me. She falls by my side and we  laugh like mad kids without a care in the world. Some other beach goers passed by us and smile at how silly we looked. Ira had tied her hair into a bun rather than her usual ponytail. She still looks good. I love the fact that she didn’t let her hair down to impress boys or anything. She does what she wants and didn’t care about pleasing anyone. She gets up and helps me up too. We run towards a more quiet place where there would be a less likely chance of some  annoying paparazzi chasing us. It’s sort of concealed in a way by coconut trees and there’s a sort of cove nearby.  The sand’s surprisingly light-coloured here. Settling down somewhere comfortable, we build sandcastles and I drag Ira towards the water. “No. Just no. I don’t want to get in the water. Not too deep anyway,” she says, with a ring of alarm in her voice. She’s afraid of deep waters. That is cute. “Oh my. The orange queen has a fear,” I joke. She sticks her tongue out at me.

“Come on, let’s take a walk along the beach,” I say, giving her my hand.

She gladly accepts and interlock her fingers with mine.

***

I want to ask Greyson why he likes me. It seems like a good time now.

“Hey..um. I was wondering...Why do you like me?” I ask awkwardly as I try not to gaze into his eyes.

“Well, firstly you’re genuine. You’re not afraid to be.. you. You’re loud and wild and crazy and I guess I’m attracted to that. And you don’t try hard to impress people. You eat as you wish, tie your hair, don’t wear makeup and stuff. And I like that. A lot. There’s so much more. But, why’d you ask?” he says as he turns my head gently to face him.

“I was just wondering. I mean you’re like.. gentle and sweet and kind and stuff. And I’m a wild child so I was just wondering you know...”

He gives me a gentle kiss on my cheek and says, “That’s what I love most about you.”

I smile and blush super hard. It’s around 2pm and it’s really hot. Greyson decides to bring me to the restaurant to have lunch. I ordered a tall glass of some tropical fruit drink thing. He orders the same and he orders us a pizza topped with pepperoni, pineapple cubes and ham slices. Looks good on the menu. Our drinks come first and they’re huge. It has to be at least two litres. I just stare at it. “Let’s see who can finish it. Loser has to do whatever the winner wants for the rest of the day,” Greyson says. I stupidly agree to it. I go to the toilet to clear my bladder first. The pizza comes quite late. By then, half my drink is gone. Greyson has only drunk a quarter of it. I’m winning, obviously. We eat our pizza and enjoy the nice afternoon of beach warmth and air. I am so glad there aren’t paparazzis around. I so do not want to harm Greyson in any manner. I get a text from my brother in the middle of lunch. It says that we might be staying in the US longer than expected. Or forever. I didn’t want to. I love it here but I love Singapore more. Of course, if I had to go back to Singapore I’d probably never see Greyson as someone more than a celeb but....most of my things are in Singapore. I don’t mind making new friends but still. I need to say some goodbyes. I’m staring at my phone so long Greyson notice a worried look on my face. “It’s nothing... just my brother goofing around,” I say quickly. It’s probably a prank. I go to the toilet to clear my bladder yet again. When I come back,Greyson has only a quarter of his drink left. I still have half of my drink tpo finish. But how was he able to drink so fast? Boys. I continue to eat and drink. Soon, Greyson finishes his glass of tropical juice first. That’s unexpected. “Orange queen has to please me for the rest of the day. It’s barely three. We have a lot of time ahead, yeah?”  he says cheekily, with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. God. What’s he up to. I finish up my drink and pizza and we head out after Greyson finished paying.