Chapter 9: The Invitation

Start from the beginning

"Psyche! Psyche!" The piercing notes of their wailing voices could be heard up the mountainside, and Psyche rushed frantically and fearfully from her chamber. But then she remembered the promise she'd made and dared not step farther out of the palace.

"Why," she cried to herself, "do they come to torture themselves and me with their unhappy cries of grief? Here I am, the object of my dear sisters' mourning."

She kept repeating that, saying woe was upon her, for here she was confined and enclosed in that blessed prison, bereft of conversation with human beings for a company and unable to offer consoling relief to her family. As they grieved for her, she was not allowed even to catch a glimpse of them.

Now, it seemed no leisure bath, delicious food, or other relaxation would make Psyche feel better, and she retired to sleep in floods of tears.

~*~

One night Cupid came to bed somewhat earlier than usual. Psyche was still weeping when the goddess embraced her, and her tears broke the goddess's heart.

"Is this because of the promise you made me that vexes you, Psyche?" Cupid asked.

Psyche did not know what to say. She simply burrowed her head into Cupid's soft comforting chest and sighed in despair. Her tears continued to flow ceaselessly, which plagued Cupid with pity.

"Even when we embrace each other as married lovers, it seems you're still tortured by grief. Very well then, have it your own way, follow your own heart. You want company, and so you shall have it."

The maiden looked up with clear crystalline eyes although the goddess was invisible.

"Am I allowed to see my family?"

"I'm afraid I can't let you head back home, but your sisters can come to yours if you wish," the golden voice whispered. "You may want to present them with whatever pieces of gold or jewelry you choose. But should they ask you about who or what I am, do not partake in their baleful investigation. Remember my warning, dear heart, remember my warning."

Psyche was so overjoyed that she readily agreed with whatever her partner proposed.

"Of course, my love, I would rather die a hundred times than forgo the joy of my marriage with you. For I love and cherish you passionately, whoever you are, as much as my own life, I value you and shall heed your words."

"Good then," Cupid said, stroking her wife's golden hair and blushed cheek. "Tomorrow, I shall bid my servant Zephyrus to spirit your sisters up here to you as he once wafted you to me."

"Oh thank you, my dear darling, the delighter of your Psyche's life!" the maiden smiled a dazzling smile and pressed seductive kisses over her golden face, whispered more honeyed words of gratitude. She reached out to enfold her beloved bedmate, snuggling close to her. Cupid, though still harbored unspoken worries, gave in to these joyful words of her wife and promised to do all she asked. Then, as dawn drew near, she vanished from Psyche's embrace again.

~*~

A new day set Psyche's spirit soaring with excitement. True to her words, Cupid had ordered the god of the west wind to bring the two elder sisters to the palace. Zephyrus went speedily and bore them with the gentlest of breezes. The sisters embraced each other, and they landed in the courtyard, windblown and bewildered. They were fearful of having been snatched away from their own gardens and relieved to find themselves deposited so gently in a place like a paradise.

How much more amazed they were, then, to see their own sister, whom they thought long dead, running out of the most magnificent place they'd ever seen. Psyche was more beautiful than ever, blooming with health and beauty, more richly garbed than any queen. Psyche stormed joyously to them and swept them into her arms, embraced, and kissed them.

At last, the sisters recovered from their stunned stupor, and delightedly exchanged eager kisses. The tears which had been dried welled forth again, but this time with great joy.

"Psyche! Our dear little sister! You're alive!" they cried and embraced her. "We thought we would never see you again. O what joy would bring to our dear parents if they knew!"

"Now that you are in good spirits," said Psyche with a bright smile, "you must enter my hearth and home, and let the company of your little sister gladden your hearts that were troubled."

Then she led them through the beautiful gardens, courtyards, fountains, and at last, into her marvelous palace. The sisters were deeply awed by the splendid riches of the golden home. They also heard the voices of Psyche's large retinue. The harmonious lyre and flute relaxed their senses. With every new wonder they saw, they grew more and more suspicious about the owner of those divine possessions.

Psyche then allowed them the rich pleasure of a fragrant bath and elegant clothes. Her invisible maids washed them and anointed them. Afterward, a sumptuous meal was served. They ate and drank with a huge appetite for the food was heavenly. They hardly spoke of anything else except exchanging a few stories of their current lives.

But when Psyche's sisters had had their fill of the copious abundance of riches, which they thought only belonged to heaven, they began to gather deep-rooted envy in their hearts. The sisters too had married kings, but little local ones and this palace made theirs look like dog kennels. They did not eat off golden plates and drink out of jewels. Their servants were the plain old visible kind, not the excellent ghostly maids. And every bite they took made their hearts heavy with jealousy.